Author Topic: Outlook 2003 and Gmail  (Read 5799 times)

bgirton

Outlook 2003 and Gmail
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »
I have been trying to configure Outlook 2003 to work with Gmail's IMAP/SMTP servers.  Gmail requires SSL encryption to connect to both servers.  Outlook connects to both servers without difficulty when the account SSL encryption is turned on.

I know that Avast needs to have secure connections turned off in order to scan mail, but when I do that the Gmail servers will not allow me to connect. 

The example of how to set up Outlook in the knowledge base looks slightly different than Outlook 2003.  I assume it is a later or earlier version.  The default unsecured IMAP port in Outlook 2003 is 143.  I also have tried 110, the number in your example, and 993, the port required by Gmail for secure connections.  The default unsecured SMTP port is the same as your example, 25.  I also tried the Gmail SSL port number, 465.  None of them work except 993 and 465, and then only when SSL is also turned on for both ports in Outlook.

I have the port numbers set to 993 and 465 in Avast, with SSL turned on for both.

Any suggestions?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Outlook 2003 and Gmail
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
If you dont get it to work, you are still protected as Google is scanning all Gmail accounts with postini spam/virus filter using twin AV engines from McAfee and Authentium

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10276548-83.html

bgirton

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Yes, I know, I wasn't worried about getting a virus.  My concern is that Outlook 2003-Avast-IMAP-Gmail does not work.  Outlook 2003 is still widely used.  IMAP is widely used. Gmail is widely used.  Avast is widely used. Either I'm doing something wrong, or Avast does not work as claimed with this combination.  I am trying to eliminate the former possibility. 

I ran into a slightly different problem with Thunderbird-IMAP-Gmail. I can receive messages, but my sent messages do not reach the recipient.  The IMAP side works, but the SMTP connection does not.

Offline PetrB

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
Hello,

I am not sure why it has not worked in your case. I have tried this configuration using POP3 (have not tested IMAP)

Do it just according to the knowledge base - do not forget to turn SSl in your Outlook settings, in both POP3 (IMAP) uncheck ssl (I have changed the value to 110 in my case) and in SMTP change the value to 25 and change used encryption to none.

In ssl avast! settings change gmail.com POP3 protocol to 995 with SSL and gmail.com SMTP protocol to 465 with ssl.

It really works.

bgirton

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »
PetrB,

POP3 works fine.  Unfortunately, I need to use IMAP. 

No combination of encrypted/unencrypted connections seems to work with Outlook 2003, Avast, IMAP, and Gmail.

I believe the problem is between the email client and Avast. 

On a different computer, Gmail- IMAP - Avast - Thunderbird and Thunderbird - Avast - SMTP -Gmail both work sometimes (although not consistently.)  When SSL is turned on in Thunderbird for IMAP and/or SMTP Avast does not always complain about encrypted connections.  It sometimes creates an encrypted connection where there was none before. 

Bruce

cavehomme

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
I have been trying to configure Outlook 2003 to work with Gmail's IMAP/SMTP servers.  Gmail requires SSL encryption to connect to both servers.  Outlook connects to both servers without difficulty when the account SSL encryption is turned on.

I know that Avast needs to have secure connections turned off in order to scan mail, but when I do that the Gmail servers will not allow me to connect. 

The example of how to set up Outlook in the knowledge base looks slightly different than Outlook 2003.  I assume it is a later or earlier version.  The default unsecured IMAP port in Outlook 2003 is 143.  I also have tried 110, the number in your example, and 993, the port required by Gmail for secure connections.  The default unsecured SMTP port is the same as your example, 25.  I also tried the Gmail SSL port number, 465.  None of them work except 993 and 465, and then only when SSL is also turned on for both ports in Outlook.

I have the port numbers set to 993 and 465 in Avast, with SSL turned on for both.

Any suggestions?

I had similar problems with Outlook 2010 this week after a new Avast install. I realised that when I selected unsecured I should have just left the default ports which outlook proposes but I changed them to 993 and 465. Once I reverted it worked, but in Avast mail settings I had to make sure that imap.gmail.com 993 SSL and smtp.gmail.com  465 SSL were added in the SSL mail tab. For some reason it did not accept the host name properly at first, there was a delay of several minutes before it showed correctly, really weird, probably a bug in Avast. This might be your issue as well?