Author Topic: avast V6.0.1289, Defender, and MSE on Windows 7 Pro  (Read 2273 times)

DLMORELL

avast V6.0.1289, Defender, and MSE on Windows 7 Pro
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:01:24 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has noticed substantive changes in the Windows 7 Pro Action Center following recent Windows Automatic Updates in conjunction with the new version of avast v6.0.1289?

On 9/15/11 I allowed Windows to install about 18 automatic updates.

At some point I must have also allowed avast!internet security to update itself to v6.0.1289, but I'm not absolutely certain when the update to avast occurred.

Today, 9/16/11, I noticed the Windows Action Center flag in the system tray was reporting an issue about not finding an anti-virus program. I attempted to click on the "Turn off messages about antivirus software" option, the hard drive started thrashing, and eventually Windows froze. After a forced system restart, the Action Center now reports that "Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) both report that they are turned off."

Windows and applications now seem to be running normally.

Just curious if anyone else is seeing some bizarre behavior?
...Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast V6.0.1289, Defender, and MSE on Windows 7 Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
Well to start with - Having two resident anti-virus scanners installed (avast and MSE) is one too many and not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

There can be all sorts of conflicts arising out of this and I don't know id the WAC is reporting this correctly or not, but you have to choose which resident av to remove, since this is the avast forum I will let you guess which one I suggest you uninstall ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security