Author Topic: bye for now, avast!  (Read 15817 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: bye for now, avast!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
And I want to ask - is ESET's healing/treating better than avast's repair?

No idea. Test it. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

12-es_csaj

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Well... detection rate is much better in ESET... but avast is better equipped. Avast has sandbox, autosandbox, safezone, script shield, behavior shield, webrep [which dont often work] boot time scan etc... ESET has just system rescue. ESET can't protect you on Instant Messengers (ESET4 could not. ESET5 can or not?).
(...)
But I can now get to websites like gamershell and bit.ly and eset is silent :D also popups are much smaller in eset and dont have bug when virus popup is with empty action.
And I want to ask - is ESET's healing/treating better than avast's repair?

Yes, ESET's detection is much higher, unfortunately.  :'( I would be happy if I couldn't tell it, because I still like avast!.
ESET hasn't got an IM Shield, yes. But it does scan files that attempts to get into the system, or processes that attempts to creat a new files, so your instant messaging is protected (but not by a seperated shield).

I would be happy if avast! 7 had a lot smaller pop-ups. I like if the AV informs the user about the porcess (I miss it in ESET), but I think it shouldn't be shown for everybody, because a beginner can't understand it... So I suggest to hide it under an "advanced" button.

ESET's memory usage is so high. It is like in avast! 4.8
But I don't realize any slowdowns with ESET, with its higher settings. avast! slowed down my PC with the highest (I think) settings.

To say something wrong about ESET: it updates only two or three times a day! I find it unaccaptable in a pad product. In avast!, I could accept it: it's a free product. Among free products, only one update per day is usually, so avast! is overperform them with the two. Okay.... I can accept ESET's two/three updates, because I didn't pay for it, I use it with codes from magazines.

Sorry for my English.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:17:20 PM by 12-es_csaj »

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
avast! Internet Security had also 2-3 updates per day so updating is same in both.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »
Hi danny96,

Does not the avast shields make the difference for us? I have experiences with avast webpage malscript flagging in the virus and worms and almost daily scanning all against it but the kitchen sink and it is awfully accurate as I put it out to the test all the time all of the time. I hope some users here like what I am doing?
The avast sinkhole and web rep database is also fastly developing and they have some new tools in the pipeline as I have heard. I can "think" avast now a bit better than other av solutions and their blind spots, and I mostly like what I experience. But there are lots of folks that switch av from time to time as others switch firewalls. I have avast as my main resident solution, added by SAS free and MBAM free, Bitdefender QuickScan inside my GoogleChrome browser, NotScripts in browser security, flawed with a bit of my own common sense and my avast forum experiences, and I feel quite happy and secure,

polonus (avast evangelist)
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
I hope some users here like what I am doing?

Yep. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

12-es_csaj

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
avast! Internet Security had also 2-3 updates per day so updating is same in both.

I know, but most of the users use the free version, and that's why I talked about it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »
The avast updates are the same for free and paid versions, just that the frequency of auto update checking minimum for free is 120 minutes and lower for the paid versions. But over the course of the day they will both receive the same number of physical updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

12-es_csaj

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »
The avast updates are the same for free and paid versions, just that the frequency of auto update checking minimum for free is 120 minutes and lower for the paid versions. But over the course of the day they will both receive the same number of physical updates.

It's so hard to explain.  ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
AV tests are not relevant,believe it or not.I never compared any av with other.I just chose the one that suited me/my computer the best.
The new version of avast will kick as***  ;) .I am sure.
KABOOM!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:21:29 AM by Left123 »
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
AV tests are revelant,believe it or not.I never compared any av with other.I just chose the one that suited me/my computer the best.
The new version of avast will kick as***  ;) .I am sure.
KABOOM!  ;D
Can't wait for Avast! 7! :)
ps. dont look at my signature :D
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

cod head

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Eset does not do a free version like Avast does.It gives you about thirty days trialware if I remember correctly.
Anyway,I am not for swapping and changing every five minutes for the new flavour of the month.Avast has protected me for 4 years and never let me down.
I did once get a bad Virus,but it was my fault.I was Brahms and List and went to a dodgy site.Take a tip,don't drink and surf,its lethal.

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
AV test always use avast free version for the test.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
UPDATE:
So when the Avast! 7 beta will be released I'll test it on the Virtual machine. After the full avast! 7 will be released I'll install It on my main computer :)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
AV test always use avast free version for the test.
It's because free and paid versions has no difference in detection rate