Author Topic: Email and Browser are "frozen"  (Read 2203 times)

susnyk

Email and Browser are "frozen"
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Since approximately the time I reinstalled Avast 6.0 (that is, Avast's support tech did it remotely), about a week ago, my Windows Mail keeps on deleting and then re-receiving all the emails that had come in since a particular date and time.  The Delete folder that I had emptied is full again, and none of my sent or forwarded emails are showing in the Sent Folder. 

Since that same time, my Firefox browser has been frozen too - that is, after I've turned the computer on and open the browser for the first time, I get the same error message - something like "Firefox has forgotten your tabs and windows."  Then it shows the windows that were open at a particular time and offers me the choice to try to reopen them or to start a new session. 

These two things happen every time I restart the computer.

Meanwhile, also new behavior - the Firefox browser window is outlined in red, as are all emails I compose.  I think this has to do with Avast's Sandbox.  I tried disabling the Avast email scanner, restarted the computer, and those same emails came back in again.

And every computer process seems slower than it was before.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing these issues and how I can repair them?

Thank you,
Susan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email and Browser are "frozen"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »
I'm not entirely sure some of these symptoms are related to avast, possibly the iYogi support as I don't know what they did.

But I would certainly recommend you start with a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1289 (see below as you didn't say what avast version you have) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Free AV: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe (multi-language version)
Pro AV:  - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS:     - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

If you are still experiencing these firefox problems I suspect that the Red border indicates you are using the Sandbox to run Firefox (which would indicate you have either avast Pro or the Internet Security version). Try running firefox normally outside of the sandbox.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security