Author Topic: Is this part of Avast?  (Read 2842 times)

Tobias4051

Is this part of Avast?
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
Hi,
Earlier today at the end of a quick scan, I saw a gray message box in the lower right corner of the screen, it was wider and shorter than the normal green "avast updated" messages, but in the same place.

The message said something like "Scan complete. No Threat found" it went as soon as I saw it, so didn't get chance to print screen, or to read it properly.

Is this message part of Avast?
I've not seen it before, or since.

Has anyone else seen this message?

Many thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Is this part of Avast?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »
have you restarted since it happend ?.....or try another quick scan...

if not right click tray icon > show last popup > click the pin in top right corner to make it stay on screen > take a screenshot and attach it here

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:34:50 AM »
Sounds potentially like the scanning popup, like when you run a scan and close the GUI. (Or a scheduled scan)

Have to find an image now...not at a machine with avast...
EDIT: Found one. Did it look like this?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69785.msg588236#msg588236

Tobias4051

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:25 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the helpful replies.

---
"have you restarted since it happend ?.....or try another quick scan...

if not right click tray icon > show last popup > click the pin in top right corner to make it stay on screen > take a screenshot and attach it here"
---

The last pop up would have been replaced a few minutes later, as there was an avast update, with a green pop up. But thanks for the info.

---
"Sounds potentially like the scanning popup, like when you run a scan and close the GUI. (Or a scheduled scan)

Have to find an image now...not at a machine with avast...
EDIT: Found one. Did it look like this?..."
---

Yes, it looked similar in shape and color as the gray pop up in this picture.
However it said something like, "Scan complete, No threat found" and it appeared just as a quick scan ended.

I've never seen this message before, and even if I quick scan it doesn't show up again.
I'm not aware of any scheduled scan.

Could it have been something that was changed in the update that came a few minutes afterwards?
The computer had been on a few hours, so that's possibly why avast updated.

The main window for avast was still open at the time the gray pop up appeared.

Do you know what could have caused the gray pop up to appear?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:15:39 AM by Tobias4051 »

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
I am completely guessing now, OK?.

When I use the right-click menu to scan a middle-size file, Avast shows me the result. But if you select a file like an "installation file" (say, LibreOffice installation executable), Avast would display some details about the process, until finally I get the results.

My guess, if that tray message was indeed from Avast, is that Avast was taking more time than usual (in your system) to finish the scan, so it (Avast) decided to show you that it wasn't "dead" (it was still active and scanning). Because of some optimizing (cache, just for one example), the next time you tried the scan, Avast was already faster, so it didn't need to display "I am not dead, and still working".

Again, just a complete guess.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
Odd...normally it only shows when you start a scan and then close the GUI (it pops up, where it can be pinned or left to disappear)

You normally don't see it when the gui is open...

Tobias4051

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

ady4um, thanks for the suggestion, I don't think it was taking any longer than usual to do the quick scan, it takes only a few minutes even the first time it is run in a day.

Quote: spg SCOTT
-----
"Odd...normally it only shows when you start a scan and then close the GUI (it pops up, where it can be pinned or left to disappear)

You normally don't see it when the gui is open..."
-----

I also thought it was odd, I have never seen this message before, or since.
When doing a quick scan, I always have the main avast window open, to see the progress.
I did another quick scan a few minutes later, after the update, and the message didn't show up that time.
I've done several quick scans (to see if the message would appear) and a boot scan since the gray popup showed up, and I've not seen it again.

It did seem odd that it showed up like that, the gui was definitely open, I leave it open until the quick scan is complete, and I remember closing the window after the popup went.

The pop up did show just as the scan finished, saying that the scan was complete, and no threat was found.

Could it have been a short lived part of an update, that was changed in the next update?

I've not heard of malware that creates such avast type popups as a scan ends, has anyone else?

Many Thanks