Author Topic: Hoax email from "CorpTech"  (Read 5410 times)

Rick F

Hoax email from "CorpTech"
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
Not sure where to post this...

Be aware that starting today (Sept 19th) some (I got one myself) may get an email that looks to be pretty genuine. It says it's from "CorpTech" saying that your email client has been sending out spam. If you don't stop, we will be impelled to sue you!  See attached document for particulars. The attachment is a compressed file (rar file). I did not open the attachment as I suspected this to be a hoax. I did save it to my desktop and scanned with avast. Avast said 'no threat found'.  I STILL did not open it because as they say, "curiosity killed the cat".  ;D

Couldn't find anything earlier in the day with a Google search, but did find that CorpTech is a legitimate company. As the day wore on, there are now some search results for this being a hoax. Not sure why avast didn't detect anything. I thought avast could unpack zipped or archived files. Or... maybe it's a new threat. Don't know.  ???  I submitted a copy of the email with attachment to "virus at avast dot com" for analysis.

See the following links if interested from Cisco and another source:

Threat Outbreak Alert: Fake Spam Complaint Report E-mail Messages on September 19, 2011
http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewThreatOutbreakAlert.x?alertId=24174

PSA: Email “We’ve Sent a Complaint” Spam/Scam from “CorpTech” Poser
http://www.undershirtguy.com/psa-email-spam-from-corptech-poser/

Here's a copy of the body of the email...

Hello.

Your email is sending spam messages!

If you don't stop sending spam, we will be impelled to sue you!

We've attached a scanned copy of the document assembled by our security service to this letter.

Please carefully read through the document and stop sending spam messages.

This is the final warning!
Corporate Technology Information Services.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:37:56 PM by Rick F »

nokenwari

Re: Hoax email from "CorpTech"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:37:34 AM »
I got the same email today but it was moved into my Virus Vault by AVG, so you were right not to open it.

Rick F

Re: Hoax email from "CorpTech"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
With avast's latest virus definitions, it now detects this attachment as "Win32 Malware-gen".  Thanks avast for adding the protection.