Author Topic: What Avast 6 components need to be connected to the internet?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline infomancer

What Avast 6 components need to be connected to the internet?
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
Hello,
 I'm using the latest free Avast 6 antivirus, and "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" on Vista SP2 64 bit. One downside of Windows firewall in this mode is that it doesn't notify you when a program is attempting an outbound connection. It just outright blocks it (unless I've got it listed in the allowed list).

Normally this isn't really a problem as all I have to do is enter the program manually. But for Avast I've allowed ashUpd.exe, aswChLic.exe, AvastSvc.exe, AvastUI.exe, sched.exe... It still can't connect to the update server (it connects fine if I allow all outbound connections, but obviously I'd rather not do that).

I've tried to "catch" what component of Avast is connecting to the internet using CPorts program, but it shows the process name as "Unknown"  :(

ady4um

Re: What Avast 6 components need to be connected to the internet?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Have you seen avast.setup ? This is the one performing updates.

If you run a manual update (right click Avast tray icon), you should see it looking for the update.

But, since the frequency for updates is not allowed to be too short, yo would need to wait at least 2 hours to correctly see the "normal" behaviour (which doesn't mean actually finding an available update to be applied).

Offline infomancer

Re: What Avast 6 components need to be connected to the internet?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »
Ah, thank you! I've allowed C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup, and not it works fine :)