Author Topic: "You are trying to use an old version of the avast! setup"  (Read 23742 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: "You are trying to use an old version of the avast! setup"
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »
Unless Silent mode is on, they are receiving program update tray notifications.
Well, not "all" users are. The times when the tray notifications about program updates were seen a couple of weeks after the release are gone (let's hope those times can come back).

Why do you think so?
To my best knowledge, the toaster popups announcing a new version are indeed displayed to everyone. The initial "heat up" period is a bit slower (typically 7 days), but after that, the whole userbase is messaged.

Interesting ::). You can answer a simple question after only a couple of minutes ( + - ), but old persistent bugs are being reported and no comment at all from anyone from Avast Team is presented (or posts being deleted with no reason and no explanation is offered, not even by a discrete path).

If you're referring to the Settings -> Status Bar -> Components Monitored -> "Virus definitions version" and "Program version" checkboxes, yes, these two were never implemented. That should hopefully be fixed in the next update (the implementation is unfortunately a bit more complicated than one may anticipate, given how things work internally).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
To my best knowledge, the toaster popups announcing a new version are indeed displayed to everyone. The initial "heat up" period is a bit slower (typically 7 days), but after that, the whole userbase is messaged.
Well, I still experience delays after seeing the announcement. Please stop before explaining that the delay is natural and on purpose :). I know and I understand the reasons. I also understand why Avast servers would never distribute to all users altogether and "immediately". I am clearly referring to "more than usual", or, if you want, "more than necessary".

I've been using Avast for several years now, and I know how much time it used to take to distribute program updates. Users come now and then reporting about their surprise when they discover there is a new release, and they are still using 2 or 3 versions older. This also happens in relation to database updates, but the issue (and the reasons for it) is completely different.

I myself have reported this issue. I tested this during several months before even thinking about reporting this. I do recognize that, for my system in particular, the latest program update to 6.0.1289 took much less than the last 12 months before.

But the reports are crystal clear. You won't see "a lot of these reports". That's EXACTLY the problem. Users simply don't know about the new versions. Sure, it is better now than it was before during latest *months*. It is still happening.

If you're referring to the Settings -> Status Bar -> Components Monitored -> "Virus definitions version" and "Program version" checkboxes, yes, these two were never implemented. That should hopefully be fixed in the next update (the implementation is unfortunately a bit more complicated than one may anticipate, given how things work internally).

Let's please separate 2 different things. One is (are) the several technical problems I have been reporting (and they are several, not just one, if you are really interested).

The other one is the complete lack of "connection" to the reports. I have been reporting (and still am) about issues for months, and there was not even 1 relevant comment from Avast Team members.

The length of many of my posts is no excuse. I have seen enough responses from "common" frequent users and from Avast Team members, and there are "more than one post" even longer than mines, with plenty of "not-short-at-all" replies, but they were for other users (BTW, too many of those answers are already available in the KB or in older - but not so much - posts, and forum members still respond, including Avast Team members).

I currently still have at least 2 issues with opened topics, and I am not-only-sure but I KNOW there are bugs (with clear reports). If you or anyone else from Avast Team is interested, I am still open to it and I welcome the help.

Just to be clear, *I* and *my specific particular system* are non-issues. I can live with this problems. The intention was to contribute with Avast, and by extent help other users.

I do owe an apology to the OP of this topic. This OT happened not only because of me, but because the lack of relevant responses in the adequate original topics, but that's no excuse.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
Thanks Vlk for the improvements and the "move on" to the new versions.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
I myself have reported this issue. I tested this during several months before even thinking about reporting this. I do recognize that, for my system in particular, the latest program update to 6.0.1289 took much less than the last 12 months before.

And that's correct - the time spread can be changed dynamically. It used to be set to a much higher value before the summer, now it's 7 days.

But the reports are crystal clear. You won't see "a lot of these reports". That's EXACTLY the problem. Users simply don't know about the new versions. Sure, it is better now than it was before during latest *months*. It is still happening.

And again, that's correct - that's how the spread works. If the users knew about the new version from the beginning, they would update - and there wouldn't be any "heat up period".

Sorry, but you don't have the data for your assumptions. We monitor the versions between the users and adjust the parameters accordingly (i.e. we know how many users have already updated, and how many use older versions).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:08:05 PM by igor »

ady4um

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

And again, that's correct - that's how the spread works. If the users knew about the new version from the beginning, they would update - and there wouldn't be any "heat up period".

Sorry, but you don't have the data for your assumptions. We monitor the versions between the users and adjust the parameters accordingly (i.e. we know how many users have already updated, and how many use older versions).

@igor,

I specifically wrote that I indeed understand those type of reasons. I have clearly said that those are not the cases I am talking about.

And, in addition, whether you know how many users use which version is not relevant to what I'm posting. Of course you know. Of course you have more data.

That is irrelevant to the users suddenly discovering that Avast program has been updated twice or more, and they are still using an old version.

If the problems (or things to consider) were just what you mentioned, that is perfectly understandable and I would agree. But if I were still using, say, version 5.x.889, and I would not be receiving a tray notification, it wouldn't be part of your description.

Forget about the specific version number. If the only considerations were "the obvious", then after a couple of months there shouldn't be any user that has not seen the program update tray notification (if using the adequate settings, of course).

If some user doesn't want to update the program, that's his decision. But the program update tray notification (when enabled by settings) should be displayed (after a couple of weeks, say, a month ?). I was one of many users using older versions after at least 2 releases. I kept the older versions until finally I say "that's enough", several month later. Then it happened again, skipping the first 2 or 3 versions of this year (5.1 to 6.0.xxxx). I knew about them, and I waited for the tray notifications for several months, while more than one program update was released.

Those explanations are not going to cover this type of situations. I am sure it has been improved, and I don't have any reason to doubt your word.

I am only saying that, aside from settings and connection/server problems, there are (were?, lets hope so) users reporting exactly the same thing I went through. The only difference between them and I is that I was aware of it. They are less now, as said and agreed, but then they were always a few that A- knew, and B- asked about it in the forum.

BTW, the tray area of Avast has (not "haD") more than one bug. I have reported this in more than one occasion, and either was not understood (in spite *so many* CLEAR posts that I was mocked instead of being helped), or disregarded.