Author Topic: Virtual Machine  (Read 2456 times)

Justin21

Virtual Machine
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:22 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if someone could teach me/ give me a link on to isolate a virtual machine from the host, as in isolate the network so the guest OS is not sharing info (I guess it could be called that) with the host, yes why i want to know this is for the sake of testing, any help would be appriciated and sorry if you couldnt understand me, my grammar is not the best
Thanks  :)

Joe S

Re: Virtual Machine
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:17 AM »
Which virtual machine are you using VirtualBox, VMware,  something else? You might have better luck looking on their forum.
Joe

Justin21

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
Hello, im using virtualbox and I went looking on their forums like you suggested and I came upon a post that said to use a "Bridged adapter" so I changed the network adapters to use a "Bridged" one and then I went to test the antivirus I have on the machine against the EICAR test and not a peep from avast on the host, when I wasnt using a bridged and I tried to do the EICAR test the guest os antivirus would detect it as well as Avast on my host os, so Im guessing I have achieved the Isolation ive been looking for, atleast I hope I have.

Justin21

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
And I was wrong, I just changed avasts settings. turning off the Silent if full screen application is running, and now avast Web shield detects the Test file. hmmm

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:52 AM »
Try excluding the file with virtual HD and see if that does anything.
Joe