Author Topic: After doing full scan, results showed files that couldn't be scanned  (Read 2680 times)

serg85

I did a full scan earlier today and I'm not sure what action to take in the scan results since the file is from C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\Components.ini.new

The status says "Error: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)"

Not sure if suspicious. Should I move to chest or do nothing or what?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: After doing full scan, results showed files that couldn't be scanned
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:18:22 AM »
files that can not be scanned is just that...does not mean they are infected

and in this case it seems to be one of avast own files

there can be many reasons why a file can not be scanned, like password protected or protected by another security program etc etc....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:19:57 AM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) protect their files for legitimate reasons.

In this case, given that it is an avast file in an avast folder there is nothing to be concerned with.

Looking at the file name and location I suspect that there may well have been an avast update in progress at the time of the scan, hence the Components.ini.new (a new updated version of the Components.ini file).

Once that update was finished I guess this Components.ini.new file would replace the Components.ini file and why it is locked.

A lot of suppositions I know but I don't believe there is any issue here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

serg85

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:26:33 AM »
Thank you for your prompt response.

So I should just select the "do nothing" option?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:21:18 AM »
I don't believe it will let you do anything else, but yes if it did that would be the option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security