Author Topic: Avast is just not working out for me.  (Read 2285 times)

JeffHaynes

Avast is just not working out for me.
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:21:03 AM »
Before I start, I have Windows Vista 64-bit, if that helps. So, last night, I bought and downloaded Avast! Internet Security. Everything installed correctly, as far as I could tell at the time. Then I went to restart after the installation. My computer had trouble shutting down, and brought me to the boot screen. I chose to start Windows normally. Everything was fine, until I had to log in to my account. That's when my computer gave me the BSOD. I managed to get my computer past the BSOD, but went I finally got into my profile, I clicked on Avast! and absolutely nothing worked. THe Firewall couldn't start, the scans weren't even showing up as a possiblity. Please, someone help me, because if not, I just spent fifty dollars for nothing.

-Jeff

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Avast is just not working out for me.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:28:10 AM »
Hi Jeff

I've had many smooth AIS installs and some BSODs on XP machines with earlier versions of avast! 6 but no experience with Vista64. If all else fails, if you purchased from avast!/element5, a refund should be possible.

Was it the latest version uou installed?
Have you tried uninstalling in Safe Mode?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:42 AM »
What av was on your system before avast ? have you removed it correctly with the programs uninstall tool, did you have another firewall on the system before avast or are you running any other type of security software ?.
If all of above is fine then start with an avast repair through add remove programs and reboot, last option is to download the avast uninstall tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe and a fresh copy of AIS if you didn't save your last copy, delet avast via remove programs and reboot into safe mode and run the removal tool then reboot back into normal mode and run a cleaning tool like Ccleaner to tidy up then your clear to reinstall a fresh avast.

JeffHaynes

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
Yes, I was using the latest version out.
I didn't have anything running on my computer before I downloaded Avast, and the only firewall that I could possibly have is the Windows Firewall.
I'm going to try uninstalling, then remove with the removal tool from safe mode, clean up with CCleaner in normal mode, then reinstall Avast.

EDIT: I have followed y'alls instructions and nothing has changed. I still am stuck with the BSOD death problem. Please help me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:55:43 AM by JeffHaynes »