Author Topic: About the latest version of avast!  (Read 3199 times)

avast lover

About the latest version of avast!
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
I am keen on avast and I have some questions about the latest version now . It is why it cant block links containing malwares and some URLs which are quite dangerous that troubles me most. And will it make my computer less secure? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: About the latest version of avast!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Blockings websites using Avast  http://techdows.com/2011/01/block-any-site-with-avast.html

i would recomend using openDNS in your router  http://www.opendns.com/

avast lover

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
I didn't mean I want to block and stop some webs containing ads and malwares with the web shield . In the past,if I try downloading some softwares or browsing some pages which may threat my computers ,avast! will show the red  warning screen to remind me of potential danger and block the software downloaded or the page browsed at once . But now I upgraded my avast and then I found that when the same things happen ,it will show the red warning screen but it take no action to stop it .So it means that I can continue downloading the software which may be a virus or Trojan in fact and the malwares even can intrude my PC quietly . I am worried that this could be significant dangerous for my computer security.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
But now I upgraded my avast and then I found that when the same things happen ,it will show the red warning screen but it take no action to stop it
can you attach a screen shot so we can see that warning ?

avast lover

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
In this picture,we can see that the threat has been detected and avast show the red warning screen.
But we can see  a small screen showing that downloading has already been finished.
(Sorry,my friends and I are Chinese users,so the software in our PCs are used in Chinese. If you find it hard to understand what I have posted,please call me and I will try to translate the sentences in the pictures into English)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Well the web shield does try to abort the connection, but if you happen to be using a download manager within firefox, that may well complete the download.

Since c.rar was only 154 KB, it is also possible that effectively the download was completed before any abort was effective.

Since this is a .rar file, it isn't automatically scanned by the file system shield (FSS), as archive files are inert until opened, the files extracted and any executable run. So before that were to happen the FSS would scan newly created files (those extracted) or before allowing them to be run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security