Author Topic: Uninstall avast! for Mac beta 1.0 (30664)?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Uh_Clem

Uninstall avast! for Mac beta 1.0 (30664)?
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »
The "Uninstall avast!" menu selection has no apparent effect.  After making the selection, the screen grays with a message to basically do a forced shutdown and then restart.  Unfortunately, following these actions, avast! is still in place and running as before.  I am trying to debug a problem that may be caused by the new beta version and disabling the shields is not sufficient.  How do I completely remove avast!?!

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Uninstall avast! for Mac beta 1.0 (30664)?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
Hmmm. Seems one of the avast KExts is crashing during unloading (part of the uninstall process) on your machine. Please provide a crash log. You should find it either in Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7), or /Library/Logs/PanicReporter (Mac OS X v10.5).

You may use the tool below to uninstall build 30664. Note it will need a reboot so save all your documents and close your applications before using it.

http://public.avast.com/dev/mac-beta1/UninstallAvast.app.zip

Regards,
Mity

Offline Uh_Clem

Re: Uninstall avast! for Mac beta 1.0 (30664)?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:05:52 AM »
Mity, thanks for the prompt reply.  As it happens, I had cleared the logs (and other things) prior to doing a backup before I saw your response.  When I tried to recreate the problem to send you the log, the uninstall worked perfectly.  I will note that, in trying to debug the situation, I found remnants of iantivirus in my system, which I removed prior to retrying the uninstall.  Don't know if that or some other extraneous file caused the problem.  Again, thanks for your help.