Author Topic: Voting....revisited  (Read 2799 times)

kellinixon

Voting....revisited
« on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
Just got Avast on my computers.  I use the pro suite.  I noticed the voting and see that my website at www.kellinixon.com has a bad rating. 

Two questions:

1.  Would anyone mind going to my site and voting (positively) on it and marking it as a blog?
2.  How long does it take to get the red to turn green?

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Voting....revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
My Firefox Webrep states that you have no rating. It's not red.

I would say you are OK.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
I always get somewhat concerned about this sort of post asking for positive feedback when we know nothing about the site.

More so when this is a users first post and even more so when there is no bad rating, the site has no rating according to my webrep listing.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ketchup2me

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
Just got Avast on my computers.  I use the pro suite.  I noticed the voting and see that my website at www.kellinixon.com has a bad rating. 

Two questions:

1.  Would anyone mind going to my site and voting (positively) on it and marking it as a blog?
2.  How long does it take to get the red to turn green?
Its a legitimate question, I also have the same issue.  My site is only for info, but I show one red bar.  I think it would be more fair for a un-voted site to be one green bar, and then let votes change that in time.  What if someone had it in for "www.kellinixon.com" and had people/co-workers place a negative with the drug/virus/bad in general choices?  If that site only had those votes, other than his own positive, in all fairness, hes being screwed by means of Avast voting.

kellinixon

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »
Weird.  When I go to the site, it is red area beside the URL.  When I click that, it says, "This site has a bad rating. (Based on a small number of votes.) 

The reason this is my first post is because I haven't had any reason to post before.  I was simply wondering about this.  I don't know why it does it differently on your computer.

kellinixon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Its a legitimate question, I also have the same issue.  My site is only for info, but I show one red bar.  I think it would be more fair for a un-voted site to be one green bar, and then let votes change that in time.  What if someone had it in for "www.kellinixon.com" and had people/co-workers place a negative with the drug/virus/bad in general choices?  If that site only had those votes, other than his own positive, in all fairness, hes being screwed by means of Avast voting.

That is exactly what I was wondering.  If one of our competitors wanted to screw us over and reported our site as malicious, where does this information go?  Could it eventually make it's way to Google or Yahoo?  Then, could it harm our rankings?

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
Could it eventually make it's way to Google or Yahoo?  Then, could it harm our rankings?
Webrep asks a single thing....Do You Like This Site.  "Like", that is all. 

Well, there is also "type of content" that you can vote on, but thats not the part you are worrying after, you are worried about people "seeing red", so to speak.

But back to the point, "Like" is by its nature, extremely subjective.  The problem is, no one takes time to see what WebRep really means, they assume that because it is bundled with a security product that it is only concerned with security. 

I don't know how search results are prioritized, so I don't know how or if this would affect that.  I know it wont land you on a blacklist or anything, if that is what you are worried about.

Avast! has never disclosed the exact WebRep measurements system, largely to prevent what concerns you, poisoning of results.