Author Topic: Windows 8 64 Bit Dve  (Read 7142 times)

GTX66

Windows 8 64 Bit Dve
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
All I can say is that AIS does not work on Windows 8 64 Bit. It installed just fine but on reboot I got to see the new BSOD (3 times) . If you are using Windows 8 do not use Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows 8 64 Bit Dve
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
This is not an issue with avast, but blocking by Microsoft as has been mentioned in a few other such topics/posts.

Windows 8 Preview builds - compatibility, they are currently blocking installations, see, topic and this post in particular:
not yet, because DP 8102 doesn't allow avast component to load itself - they block us, today I'll speak with MS devs here at build conference how we can fix it; unfortunately, you will have to wait for the official win8 beta, because they have to remove blocking from their code
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
I don't think this issue is limited to Avast products but maybe all AV products.   Anti-Spyware programs like Malwarebytes, SAS appear to load and run without a problem.  ISTM that this issue might have to do with W8 being designed for UEFI.

Windows 8 Platform Integrity Architecture flow chart.

https://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-01-29-43-metablogapi/0675.Figure_2D00_1_2D002D002D00_Windows_2D00_8_2D00_Platform_2D00_integrity_2D00_architecture_5F00_406B7F53.png

To read Snofsky's article on Windows 8 and UEFI see link

Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
No it isn't limited to only Avast.

Seems that Microsoft are only allowing MSE, which seems a bit like harvesting market share than having AVs which have been involved early in the win8 development cycle being allowed to be involved in the early development builds. Then again I'm very trusting in this regard NOT.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »
No it isn't limited to only Avast.

Seems that Microsoft are only allowing MSE, which seems a bit like harvesting market share than having AVs which have been involved early in the win8 development cycle being allowed to be involved in the early development builds. Then again I'm very trusting in this regard NOT.

I have found at least one AV tool that will work with W8 DP.   McAfee Stinger. 

As soon as it is done scanning I will try the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Obviously these are not real-time AV programs but they do catch viruses that Anti-Spyware programs miss

After I have tried the KVRT if it doesn't crash W8 DP and make it unusable I will then maybe try Bit-Defender's Top 100 Removal Tool.  BT-100 has found and removed Malware from my Netbook before that everything else missed.  I don't think that the removed items were FPs because the Netbook was running slow before BT-100 removed the items and afterward the Netbook returned to running at its normal speed.

We shall see. :)

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »
@nesivos don't get confused here...
>>> that UEFI thing has absolutely nothing to do with the lines of code blocking software like Avast in Windows 8. UEFI is not a Windows 8 feature, Windows 8 supports UEFI, which is different. UEFI is implemented at bios level to prevent unwanted stuff from loading when you start your system. UEFI isn't available yet on many motherboards. By supporting UEFI, Windows 8 offers manufacturers the opportunity to implement a hard coded key for Windows 8 (authentication of genuine software for instance) in the motherboard bios chip, hardly related to blocking anything Avast related ;D

ps: this can be an issue for Linux bootloaders, especially for most distros who have almost no mean to acquire a trusted key.

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
@nesivos don't get confused here...
>>> that UEFI thing has absolutely nothing to do with the lines of code blocking software like Avast in Windows 8. UEFI is not a Windows 8 feature, Windows 8 supports UEFI, which is different. UEFI is implemented at bios level to prevent unwanted stuff from loading when you start your system. UEFI isn't available yet on many motherboards. By supporting UEFI, Windows 8 offers manufacturers the opportunity to implement a hard coded key for Windows 8 (authentication of genuine software for instance) in the motherboard bios chip, hardly related to blocking anything Avast related ;D

ps: this can be an issue for Linux bootloaders, especially for most distros who have almost no mean to acquire a trusted key.

1.  UEFI replaces the BIOS
2.  The authentication is not hard coded.  It is programed into Firmware that is what the third letter in UEFI stands for.  Since it is programmed in firmware it can be changed and updated with a simple software update.
3.  W8 uses UEFI to prohibit rootkits especially kernal-mode rootkits.  UEFI through authentication prevents unapproved changes to the loader and the software that loads before the operating system loads.

I am not familiar with the technical aspects of Avast products but ISTM that the issue here could be the design of the UEFI and how it handles kernal-mode rootkits along with design of W8 to take advantage of the UEFI security features.  The biggest security improvement in W8 is in the root-kit area.  Taking advantage of the UEFI design MSFT claims that W8 will prevent kernal-mode rootkits.

When I attempted to load AIS on my W8 DP OS the OS crashed.  When it attempted to reboot it crashed again and again but not before displaying an error message that the kernal was corrupted or some such thing like that.

So ISTM that it is not just a simple matter of getting authentication but has more to do with the redesign of the Window kernal.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »
 ::) ;D

you came up with UEFI here, and that was completely off topic :D ... or do you already have an UEFI enabled motherboard ??? ;D

... and now tell us a bit more about Windows kernel...

ps: yeah it's "kernel", not "kernal" ... and I never said UEFI wasn't meant to replace the bios, I probably shouldn't have said "at bios level", but at MB firmware level ok ;D ... something that you won't be able to fully tweak, when it comes to secure boot etc... (that's why I used the word hardcoded, don't expect vendors to get you rid of anything disturbing with an update lol )

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:46:01 PM by logos »

GTX66

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »
I went back to Win 7, Win 8 kind of _____S!

Sparxx

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »
I went back to Win 7, Win 8 kind of _____S!

At the moment Win8 is only in a dev. preview, so we can't talk here about a fully functional OS, so there will be no support for it.