Author Topic: Beta 32436 --- need to reboot after install?  (Read 5899 times)

sboydman

Beta 32436 --- need to reboot after install?
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
After installing the Beta 32436 on several Mac's with OS X Lion 10.7.1, the status windows displays that the Mail Shield and Web Shield status cannot be determined. There may also be an issue when trying to obtain updates (it would be helpful to have some sort of progress indication to visually confirm that the program is not frozen).
In any event, a reboot of the computer seems to resolve the issues. If this is the case, it might be helpful to prompt for reboot following completion of the installation.
Thanks for a terrific product! :)

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Beta 32436 --- need to reboot after install?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
Thanks for your report, sboydman.

The installation did not ask for reboot, because it should not usually (*) need it. It seems that something was going wrong in your case.

We would appreciate if you can provide us some more information, so we can look closer at the problem:

(1) Was it a clean install, or update from older version? If an update, have you an idea what was the version installed previously?

(2) Please look at system logs if there is something what would indicate a problem cause (/var/log/system.log, /var/log/kernel.log) or provide us those logs.

(3) During the avast! beta stage, whenever something interesting happens (a main GUI starts, installation/uninstallation/upddate is performed etc.), the avast! writes a file /tmp/script.log-[NUMBER] so we can see what happens. We are very interested in those files from time when the problem occurs. However /tmp is deleted during reboot so you probably do not have the relevant files there anymore. However it would be very helpful if you try to reproduce the problem. If it issue happens again, collect those files (use file creation date/time to pick the ones from the reinstall time) and provide them.

Regards,
Mity

-----
Footnotes:
(*) Actually in exceptional cases it may need the reboot when updating from older beta build, and some KExt of old version refuses to unload which may happen. But then the GUI should ask you to perform the reboot, and we believe this can only happen on 10.5.x and 10.6.x, and not 10.7.x.

sboydman

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
It was an update from the prior beta version. I will try to reproduce by uninstalling the latest beta, then reinstalling the previous beta and upgrading. I will post the relevant logs afterwards.

sboydman

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
Okay. Reproduced problem ---

(1) I downgraded from 32436 to 30664 by reinstalling... then rebooted my MacBook Pro 5,5 running Lion 10.7.1
After reboot, upgraded to 32436. After upgrade, open avast from "Open avast!" menu item. Status window shows:

NOT SECURED
     Cannot detect state of one or more shields.

File Shield  ✓  ON
     Mail Shield  !  Cannot detect
     Web Shield  !  Cannot detect

Update proceeded without any problem or delay.

(2) Would be glad to send you the system.log and kernel.log, but I can't attach them as they are larger than 200 kb each.

(3) Also, there are 5 /tmp/script.log- files ... I have attached the first 4 to this post, let me know and I would be glad to send the 5th file along with the system.log and kernel.log files to you.

sboydman

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:04 PM »
Also, confirmed that the 2 shields problem does not clear up after a log-off and log-on, but resolved itself with a reboot of the MacBook. You can download all the logs, as well as the image of the avast Status at the following Dropbox link...

http://db.tt/s2ETPa6g

Thanks!

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
Yep, I can see the problem. We will work on fixing that. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mity

sboydman

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »
My pleasure  :D