Author Topic: strange things since inst avast 4  (Read 2816 times)

lookbehind

strange things since inst avast 4
« on: November 10, 2004, 12:22:45 PM »
I've recently installed Avast 4 free. It may be coincidental but twice my email setting have been corrupted. I have several accounts with my BB provider in form somename@ username. ispname.com.
  Pop3 server xxx. ispname.net
SMTP server yyy.ispname.net .

The latest change that occured altered both server details to
zzz.0.0.1 and my user name to username#ispname.net.

I have completed an indeptht scan after reinstating the proper settings and used two diffrent virus checkers, your and another providers ( that is usually not installed) but no viruses have been found. I not that with your scan a number of files are unscannable but these appear to be ini and other windows ' housekeeping' items- nothing to cause alarm. Any views if there may be something causing the problem which Avast can cure?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:strange things since inst avast 4
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:26:23 PM »
This is not strange at all. That change is made by Avast in order to be able to scan the mail.

I suggest you upgrade to Avast 4.5. That version handles the mail in a different way.
Upgrade instructions (See the first post by Vlk there)

lookbehind

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 12:32:01 PM »
Strange what you say, as since resetting all seems to work OK. from your reply am I intended to conclude that my mail is not now beingf scanned as resident protection is shown as normal in the On Access Protection Control box?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 12:35:23 PM »
Just upgrade to 4.5 beta and see if everything is working. 4.5 final will be released next saterday anyway. So spending time on trubleshooting 4.1 is a waste of time imho.