Author Topic: advice; no programs open after running Avast AV  (Read 17130 times)

bswan4

advice; no programs open after running Avast AV
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
With Avast free AV program and Windows 7-64 bit installed, am finding that only Windows Internet Explorer will open.  Attempting to open all other programs results in nothing happening (sometimes the ball icon spins for a second or so).  This situation immediately follows routine weekly running of the recently updated Avast AV scan of C-drive which identified a trojan, located, maybe, in winsys64 which was sent to virus vault (though 1 of the 3 lines then said "file could not be located"), then did recommended boot scan resulting in mention of something about a CAB file, then Windows seemed to then open as usual.  (Avast AV won't load so I can't check its scan logs for the specified items it identified.)  As said, the only program I seem able to open now is Windows Internet Explorer.  My usually used Firefox, MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, etc, do not open.  All these programs, including Avast AV have worked fine for the past 5 months.  Any advice/suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.
thanks,
Bob

ady4um

Re: advice; no programs open after running Avast AV
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I would say at least 2 things should be checked.

First, from your description, I wouldn't be 100% you are not still infected, or that a previous infection has left you with some non-working / corrupted files.

Second, only if the first observation is not correct (meaning, if you are NOT still infected or with some unwanted consequences), then the firewall rules should be deleted and rebuilt for everything Avast - related (avastsvc.exe, avast.setup, avastui.exe...).

sidraashiq

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »
The very exact same thing happened to me also to the T!! Even the whole 3items were discovered but then one couldnt be removed and then it booted it and wont allow me to access anything in safe mode either

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »
I "PM,d" essexboy for this one. Essexboy is just about the best when it comes to infections.  :)

Have either of you scanned using MalwareBytes or Super Anti-Spyware?

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Lets have a look at the system

Download OTL  to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
/md5stop
C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Post both logs

sidraashiq

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
I cant access anything in order to dowload and sort it.. Im using my phone at the moment to message yourselves. Totally regret downloading thus avast! And to top it off, the computer shop across the road is closed tomorrow and I need it for uni on monday! Perfect timing.

sidraashiq

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Oh.. And my light fuse has just gone.. Yay?!

bswan4

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »
thanks essexboy.
OTL was downloaded (a 569 bit MS-DOS file), when double-clicked on asks "do you want to allow the following program from unknown make changes...," answered "yes," then nothing happens. Seems that the file was downloaded but will not run, just as other programs on my computer no longer run.
Would it be helpful and is it possible to access the Avast AV scan log file, without actually opening the AV program as it won't open?  the information from the 2 recent scans might be helpful?

bswan4

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
Hi Para-noid,
Just tried running MalwareBytes (previously installed and used infrequently), but like other programs, it won't load.  Asks "do you want to allow changes...," answered 'yes' then nothing happens.

lmoss

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Same problem here.  Can't run anything other than Internet Explorer 64-bit.  IE 32-bit won't run - nor will anything else.

avast found a virus during normal scan late last night.  Recommended a boot scan.  After the boot scan, can't run anything other than IE 64-bit.

No other downloaded utilites will run either - just like everybody else is saying

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »
    Download
RogueKiller to your desktop

[list=1]
  • Quit all running programs
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 2 and validate
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe 

Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next Reply.

Then retry OTL

mardragon7

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »
Hello,

I am having the same issue.

Tried downloading Roguekiller and it does not start either, nor does it work to rename it winlogon

Thank you for trying to help

sidraashiq

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
This' becoming extremely frustrating.. Feel like kickin myself in the butt for goin against my better judgement and running the boot!

lmoss

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »
RogueKiller won't run either - even running as administrator.  After saying yes to allow it to run, the display loses resolution and instantaneously comes back - but it didn't run and didn't produce a text report.

No regedits or utilities or registry merges have helped at all.  Things were fine before the boot scan.  Now, IE 64-bit and Notepad only.

bswan4

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 12:39:50 AM »
RogueKiller, a 643Kb download, will not open as named, when renamed winlogon.exe, tried in both standard and safe mode.  Same as described by Imoss and mardragon7, with the the flashed black screen after "run" then back to normal screen.
Has anyone tried a system restore?  Opinion on this?--don't want to make things worse, thinking that the virus or trojan would still be present after a system restore.