Author Topic: Avast made my computer not work  (Read 3104 times)

AspieMum

Avast made my computer not work
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:29:23 PM »
Avast identified part of the Windows 7 software as a virus and told me to do a boot time scan to finish sorting it out- it wouldn't even just put the 3rd one into the chest and it wasn't until later I recognised what the dll files were. Big mistake doing he boot time scan. The computer wouldn't load up properly. It was also impossible to run any programs. I tried loading into safe mode but I couldn't get avast to run so as I could get at the 2 files it did have in the chest and get them out so the computer would work. I tried system restore- but that wouldn't work and the error message said the cause was Avast Antivirus. As it wouldn't open I couldn't disable it to get system restore to work as the error message said. I had trouble getting to unistall Avast. I finally after half an hour of trying manage to do a sort of uninstall- I got Revo unistaller Pro to open in safe mode eventually (initially it wouldn't load nor would the program uninstaller in the Control Panel) and ran that but Avast's own uninstaller is supposed to run to uninstall it properly and it didn't. However it was enough to trick my system into letting System Restore work. Even after that I had to use a start up manager whilst in safe mode to choose to not have Avast loading at start up for the computer to load up properly. I ahve had a few problems with Avast finding false positives but this is the most serious one yet because it locked up files the computer needed to run properly. Avast was a brilliant program until recently but now it is looking more and more hazardous to use. Is there any way of preventing this happening again and is it safe to scan my computer using avast antivirus or will the same happen again if I do? (Using system restore re-installed Avast properly again).   

8count

Re: Avast made my computer not work
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »
I am having the same problem.  My windows 7 computer which has everything I need to run my business is now a paperweight. Since I trusted the paid version of Avast, I wasn't even paying attention to which files were deleted so don't even know what to look for to replace. Perhaps someone from Avast can respond with a fix before Monday, so I can get back to work.

LeeW

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:36:50 AM »
I am having the same problem.  My windows 7 computer which has everything I need to run my business is now a paperweight. Since I trusted the paid version of Avast, I wasn't even paying attention to which files were deleted so don't even know what to look for to replace. Perhaps someone from Avast can respond with a fix before Monday, so I can get back to work.

Please post anything you hear back from Avast. Those of us with the Free version aren't able to submit a support ticket.

Thanks!!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:44:59 AM »

AspieMum

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »

Please post anything you hear back from Avast. Those of us with the Free version aren't able to submit a support ticket.

Thanks!!

I managed some how to get Avast to have it listed as some sort of ignored file in the end and reinstalled the program it was saying was a virus when its not. I now have a profile on the computer where Avast does not automatically load so if I have the same sort of problem again I can still log on to the computer & won't need to use system Restore to sort things out.