Author Topic: Why create the mirror during install?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Bret Miller

Why create the mirror during install?
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »
I don't know whose idea it was to download the entire mirror content during the install. I'm on attempt 5 now where the first 4 attempts failed to download everything. Then it tries to roll back, but leaves mirror.exe running. So I kill mirror.exe. Then I have to delete everything leftover EXCEPT the mirror directory. Then I run the install again and it resumes. Why can't the install just continue and let the mirror process handle the download AFTER the install...

Anyway... attempt #5 is now rolling back, so time to do it again. The good part is there is only a few MB's left, so maybe next time it will actually finish.

wpn

Re: Why create the mirror during install?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »
Its a valid question really, its not neccesary for the installation itself to have the mirror ready.

The mirror is needed at the moment the installation is finished and the product is ready to start deploying.

Tho the logic behind it will be (which i also understand) that the mirror and deployment packages are ready for use when the installation finishes so deployment can happen straight away instead of having to wait after the product is installed (and ready to use).

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »
As most of the users is quite disappointed by the time of the installation we are working on improvements. The mirror download will move to "after install" steps. It may cause that the deployment won't work (disabled) right if you install and log in to console quickly - as wpn pointed out. However it's either this way or that way ;)

Anyway... attempt #5 is now rolling back, so time to do it again. The good part is there is only a few MB's left, so maybe next time it will actually finish.
Did it install finally? Any logs?
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Bret Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread. I don't remember the number of times I had to run the install, but yes, it eventually got through the mirror creation and I was able to continue the deployment. I think we have managed to deploy over all but one of the avast! 4.8 clients with only a few needing manual intervention, so it was a success as far as I'm concerned. Just a painful one. I'm glad mirror creation is moving to after install. Perhaps showing the mirror creation status once you log into the console will give admins the clue as to when they can begin deploying.

One thing I really appreciate about avast! is you listen to your customers. Life would be so much easier if all companies did that.