Author Topic: Server Download Error  (Read 3479 times)

sopchoppy

Server Download Error
« on: November 11, 2004, 08:21:29 PM »
When accessing the internet an Avast information error message occurs.  It is on a red background and the text is as follows:

An error has occurred while attempting to update!

Click here for more information....

When the error message is clicked on the following summary message appears:

Information about current update:  Last encounterred error:  Server download7.avast.com[unknown:80] is down.

Total time: 57 s

This occurs every time the internet is accessed.  I believe this occurred due to an incomplete upgrade that was interrupted in progress.  I have checked on line for both program and data updates and I have been informed that Avast is current as to updates, both program and data.

How do I get rid of this error message?

John

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Server Download Error
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 08:27:28 PM »
Disable your firewall and try again.

sopchoppy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:23:06 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply -

I disabled my firewall but that appears to be only a temporary fix.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast and went through the update process, but every time I go on line Avast attempts to install again even though I have verified that the program and the update are current.  

Is there some .exe file that triggers a continuation of a discontinued download and attempts to reinstall the Avast software?

John

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 12:28:26 AM »
So it worked when the firewall was off?
If so, remove the firewall, reboot and reinstall it. Setup the correct permissions for Avast and other applications. That will most likely solve it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:48:19 AM »
But every time I go on line Avast attempts to install again even though I have verified that the program and the update are current.

Un-check the automatic updates.
Note, avast is fully configurable. It will test for a connection each 40 seconds and when succeed, try to update. Then wait 4 hours to start the process again. You can set the updates to manual or 'ask for'. See 'Settings' link on my signature or the avast settings.

Is there some .exe file that triggers a continuation of a discontinued download and attempts to reinstall the Avast software?

No John, it's the normal update schedule if you set for automatic.
The best things in life are free.