Author Topic: Norton Antivirus Issue  (Read 5498 times)

Clay LaPorte

Norton Antivirus Issue
« on: November 11, 2004, 03:21:49 PM »
Hi everyone! I just installed Avast  and everytime I startup my computer, I get the warning:
"Avast Incompatible AV Software Running"
It goes on to say that 4 functions in Avast are disabled because of it. I do have Norton AV2003 installed, but even though I have it disabled from activating on startup, I still get the warning. Please advise me what I need to do.

Thank you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Norton Antivirus Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 03:42:31 PM »
Remove Norton completely from your system. Having two av's on one system leads to conflicts and may even prevent both from working correctly. Use the search function on this board to find a link to the nav uninstall util.

Clay LaPorte

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 04:28:28 PM »
Eddy,

Thanks for the reply. The one problem I see with the uninstall is that I have my Norton AV integrated with  the Norton Systemworks and I'd like to keep that if possible.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Spyros

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 04:49:33 PM »
You can keep Systemworks, just uninstall NAV.
If avast! still sees NAV, use this tool: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

(It is wise to back-up first, in case something goes wrong)

Clay LaPorte

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:49:33 PM »
Spyros,

Thanks for the reply. The problem still exists that the Norton AV is integrated into the Systemworks. In the ADD/REMOVE programs, there is no option to remove the AV only. It's all or none. Will this tool you are talking about know how to solve this issue?

Thank you,
Clay

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 06:09:52 PM »
Spyros just gave you the link to the tool :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 03:11:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply. The problem still exists that the Norton AV is integrated into the Systemworks. In the ADD/REMOVE programs, there is no option to remove the AV only. It's all or none. Will this tool you are talking about know how to solve this issue?

Clay, you have an option on Control Panel to 'modify or change' the installated items.
I have all tools except NAV. Works like a charm with avast. Don't worry.

Only uses the Symantec tool after using the Control Panel. Be smart, don't screwup your computer  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 03:12:04 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Clay LaPorte

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 12:25:25 AM »
Technical,

Thank you very much for replying to my request. I didn't realize that from the ADD/REMOVE Programs I could select the removal of the Norton AV only. I followed your instructions and it worked great! Thank you again for helping me out. I appreciate it alot.

Clay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 01:45:21 AM »
Technical, Thank you very much for replying to my request. I didn't realize that from the ADD/REMOVE Programs I could select the removal of the Norton AV only. I followed your instructions and it worked great! Thank you again for helping me out. I appreciate it alot. Clay

You're welcome to avast forums...
The place where help and support become reality  8)
The best things in life are free.