Author Topic: Avast update error + computer not working  (Read 19120 times)

lhui

Re: Avast update error + computer not working
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 06:29:52 AM »
If you using an upgrade disc i dont think there was a repair function with that, you need the full disc of the version that is already installed on your system or a system repair disc that hopefully you created when you first got your system.
Okay. I wull try that out eventually.

DonZ63

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »
Make sure when you do select the repair option from the installation disk, you first try the option to repair your start up files. I have run that a couple of times sucessfully when I borked my boot loader files when I was fooling around with my dual boot XP and WIN 7 setup.

Do make it a point in the future to create a WIN 7 recovery disk and keep it always with your PC for instances like this. 

lhui

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 01:33:37 AM »
Make sure when you do select the repair option from the installation disk, you first try the option to repair your start up files. I have run that a couple of times sucessfully when I borked my boot loader files when I was fooling around with my dual boot XP and WIN 7 setup.

Do make it a point in the future to create a WIN 7 recovery disk and keep it always with your PC for instances like this. 
I will keep that in mind in the future. If my HDD is not fails its scan, does that mean I should still repair?

DonZ63

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 02:14:17 AM »
If my HDD is not fails its scan

Are you now running HHD diagnostics using a bootable CD? What is the result? Are you getting SMART errors?

HDD errors are an entire different issue.

lhui

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »
If my HDD is not fails its scan

Are you now running HHD diagnostics using a bootable CD? What is the result? Are you getting SMART errors?

HDD errors are an entire different issue.
I go into the BIOS and I run the HDD diagnostics test and it always fails.

lhui

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
It still goes to the black screen even when I am using the qindows disk. It goes to either Safe mode or run normal options when first booted. After choosing, it goes to the windows logo and then a black screen with the mouse.

lhui

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 12:26:17 AM »
I solved the last prob because my laptop had usb cd drive. But now there is no repair option available. So how should I procees?

DonZ63

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 02:36:56 AM »
Check this out: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

Do option 1 only! Note the text about you might have to run option 1 multiple times.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:45:16 AM by DonZ63 »

lhui

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 02:49:33 AM »
Check this out: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

Do option 1 only! Note the text about you might have to run option 1 multiple times.
I tried that method a few times and still no repair option.

DonZ63

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
It still goes to the black screen even when I am using the qindows disk. It goes to either Safe mode or run normal options when first booted. After choosing, it goes to the windows logo and then a black screen with the mouse.

Originally you said you couldn't boot into safe mode. Later you said the above. If you can boot into safe mode, go into device manager and check out your graphics drivers. Personally I think that is your problem. You can always uninstall the existing graphics drivers and reboot. Win 7 should find drivers for your graphics drivers and reinstall them; at least the drivers that were current for the WIN 7 ver. you have installed. If that cures your normal boot problem, you can them install current drivers for your graphics card.

Another option is to try a system restore from an archive prior to when your problems started. Not always works and can make matters worse.

If the above don't work, I am out of suggestion other than take you PC to a pro for repair or reinstall WIN 7. If you reinstall Win 7, you can backup all your important files from safe mode prior to the reinstall.

lhui

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 02:39:29 AM »

Originally you said you couldn't boot into safe mode. Later you said the above. If you can boot into safe mode, go into device manager and check out your graphics drivers. Personally I think that is your problem. You can always uninstall the existing graphics drivers and reboot. Win 7 should find drivers for your graphics drivers and reinstall them; at least the drivers that were current for the WIN 7 ver. you have installed. If that cures your normal boot problem, you can them install current drivers for your graphics card.

Another option is to try a system restore from an archive prior to when your problems started. Not always works and can make matters worse.

If the above don't work, I am out of suggestion other than take you PC to a pro for repair or reinstall WIN 7. If you reinstall Win 7, you can backup all your important files from safe mode prior to the reinstall.
I never said safe mode works... if I did or there was a misunderstanding, I am sorry. But safe mode does not work... goes into black screen after winfows logo.

DonZ63

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
Let's back up a bit.

First, you need to determine if your HDD is failing. I don't know what BIOS checks you are running. I have built multiple PCs over the years and the only BIOS option I am aware of is tuning off/on SMART checking. I do recollect a few BIOSes that display SMART status info. Is that what you are referring to?

The only approved way of determining HDD status is first determine who the HDD manufacture is. Next download the manufacturer bootable diagnostic CD .iso image and burn the .iso image using burning software capable of created a bootable CD e.g. Nero, Roxio, WIN 7's CD/DVD creator, etc.

Then boot from the CD ensuring your BIOS options are set to boot from CD/DVD drive first or press the appropriate select boot option key when the BIOS splash screen appears. Run a quick scan from the HDD diagnostic program. If no errors are found, then run a full scan. Note that a full scan on a large HDD could take many hours.

If no errors from the above steps are found, your HDD is not the problem. If your HDD is defective, you need to have it replaced and then reinstall WIN 7 since your don't have an image backup of your existing HDD. A repair shop might be able to recover your existing data but be prepared to pay a large sum of money for that effort. 

lhui

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 06:37:21 PM »
Well, in the bios there os a option to scan memory or hard disk. I presser hard disk and it failed the test.

DonZ63

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
I suspect the BIOS test you are performing is a SMART test. 

My expeience is that SMART checks from the BIOS are not always reliable. Best you run the HDD manufacturer disk diagnostics.

Again you need to get this resolved before you do anything else.

lhui

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »
I suspect the BIOS test you are performing is a SMART test. 

My expeience is that SMART checks from the BIOS are not always reliable. Best you run the HDD manufacturer disk diagnostics.

Again you need to get this resolved before you do anything else.
How do I run the HDD diagnostic test?