Author Topic: Can avast and private firewall be used together?  (Read 12418 times)

avast lover

Can avast and private firewall be used together?
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
HI,

I am quite interested in this firewall and I want to know whether there is any conflict between avast and private firewall :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can avast and private firewall be used together?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »
There are many avast and PF users on the forums and no known/reported problems that I have seen on the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
Well I think recently I have seen someone having trouble with Private Firewall...

See this link:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=85502.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Well I'm talking about problems with avast and it isn't clear what is causing this problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
Hm...yeah you are right :)

Well I personally have been using Private Firewall with avast and both of them are working smoothly together ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
I can remember some people awhile ago ( 2-3 months ) were having issues with PFW and Avast support telling them that PFW contained an AV componant so they would have to uninstall one or the other, i haven't tried PFW myself in over 8 months now so i cant confirm this, i do know that it is a very light firewall and effective but not as smart in setting itself up as some of the other better known firewalls.

cadremis

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:25:37 PM »
I have never found a single problem with PrivateFirewall and Avast in my 2 computers... Mr. Salvato released versión 7.0.25.3 and there are no problems ...rm

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Looks like it works then  :)
You might want to update your sig cadremis to show the latest PFW version  ;)

Dragaan

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
Avast free AV + Comodo free Firewall/Defense+ have been used together by many, many people.  A lot of users swear it's the best free security you can get.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »
Avast free AV + Comodo free Firewall/Defense+ have been used together by many, many people.  A lot of users swear it's the best free security you can get.
This is not and does not answer the question that the OP was asking  ::)

DonZ63

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:10:14 AM »
Well I think recently I have seen someone having trouble with Private Firewall...

See this link:

That's me!

All I can say is the install of Privatewall went fine. Then when I tried to "train it" by opening and closing all my apps, PrivateFirewall went bonkers. My problems where identical to an older Avast forum thread I posted in the above link. PrivateFirewall GUI options were frozen and the profile was set to Office and could not be changed.

Finally contrary to comments I had found on the web, Privatewall did not uninstall clean. I had to go into WIN 7 x64 registry and do manual scrubing to remove remenants.

If you really want a trouble free firewall w/HIPS I would recommend Comodo. Personally what I am finding out is running Avast 6.x with file, web, network, and script shields plus behavior blocking set on with all Avast settings set to max. plus MBAM Pro plus WIN 7 firewall with default settings gives me plenty of protection w/minimum hassles.

All this outbound protection from firewalls and HIPS is really overkill as long as your PC is clean. The key word in the last sentence is "clean." If your really want to be protected doing web e-commerce, get Zemana's Anti-Keylogger. Nothing and I mean nothing gets past that software. Of course, it cost $30 a year or so.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:16:22 AM by DonZ63 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:46 AM »

See this link:

That's me!

All I can say is the install of Privatewall went fine. Then when I tried to "train it" by opening and closing all my apps, PrivateFirewall went bonkers. My problems where identical to an older Avast forum thread I posted in the above link. PrivateFirewall GUI options were frozen and the profile was set to Office and could not be changed.

Finally contrary to comments I had found on the web, Privatewall did not uninstall clean. I had to go into WIN 7 x64 registry and do manual scrubing to remove remenants.

If you really want a trouble free firewall w/HIPS I would recommend Comodo. Personally what I am finding out is running Avast 6.x with file, web, network, and script shields plus behavior blocking set on with all Avast settings set to max. plus MBAM Pro plus WIN 7 firewall with default settings gives me plenty of protection w/minimum hassles.

All this outbound protection from firewalls and HIPS is really overkill as long as your PC is clean. The key word in the last sentence is "clean." If your really want to be protected doing web e-commerce, get Zemana's Anti-Keylogger. Nothing and I mean nothing gets past that software. Of course, it cost $30 a year or so.
Speaking of overkill there should be no need to set everything in avast to max as this alone is probably slowing down your system, the only shield i have increased to full is the web shield.
Windows firewall isnt bad but has no outbound protection by default and is a pain in the rear to manually add exclusions for each and every action which is why we recommend a good third party firewall because there easyer to set up and have more configuration abilty and once the firewall is trained they are really very quiet, so even with avast and malwarebytes on your system it still doesn't mean that something cant get through and when it does you have no outbound protection  ;)

DonZ63

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:18:01 AM »
Speaking of overkill there should be no need to set everything in avast to max as this alone is probably slowing down your system, the only shield i have increased to full is the web shield.

I have a quad core AMD Phenom II processor, 8 GB DDR 3 ram, fast nVidia GTS graphics card w/ 1GB fast memory, etc. I have never seen any performance lags on my system.

Pertaining to the max. settings. I follow the AV test lab sites. When Avast received a good recent rating from AV-Comparatives, Avast specifically requested the lab test be done at max. settings. To paraphase AV-Comparatives, they recommended all Avast users set their setings to max. also.   

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »
I use it on Virtual Machine and there no any conflict between them. The only thing is you need to love to uninstall and reinstall Privatefirewall as there no a real auto update avaible yet.

Im using it and most time i want to kill my computer because they release too many updates. Firefox does same but at least Firefox has a good auto update !

otuatail

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »
Doubtful: It doesn’t work with zone alarm. I am plagued by notices saying sf.bin is trying to access the internet. Even though I tell ZA that it is ok, it keeps happening. What avast does is create random folders with 8 digit numbers and places sf.bin in them. ZA gets confused and thinks it is another application.

These are typical entries found in ZA after a few days.

C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092801\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092800\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092601\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092401\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092400\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092300\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092200\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092100\Sf.bin
C:\program files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11091901\Sf.bin

ZA has absolutely no chance in working this out.

I have been told (by an Avast employee on this forum I think) that sf.bin should not be doing this.