Author Topic: Avast GUI Problems  (Read 5363 times)

draxlea

Avast GUI Problems
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »
Dead all,
I have a really Big Problem. I am using the latest version of Avast . OS is Win XP SP3 all sec. Updates.  Since a while I have no Avast icon and I cannot Start The GUI of Avast. When I click on The Icon nothing happens. Eventvwr no errors. Windows Security Center recognise that avast is installed. Internet Explorer shows the Web Feature of avast right Hand side. On my opinion The Problem Starts after Security updates from Microsoft were installed, but I am Not sure. I tried to repair, deinstall, install, remove Avast but nothing helped. I can install normally Avast As usual restart The maschine and I cannot start Avast anymore.... Can anyone help me or has a tip for me what I can do ??????
Thank you a lot
Nice greetings
Alex

Gargamel360

Re: Avast GUI Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
Tried this yet?

Clean re-install
1: Download a new Avast! setup for your appropriate version, and this>>http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility
2: Uninstall Avast! normally via Control Panel, then run the Uninstall Utility in safe mode.
3: Run the setup you downloaded and re-install Avast!

draxlea

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »
Hello,

I tried :

Normal XP mode : Uninstall Avast via Control Panel
Restart in Save mode : Run Uninstall Utility
Restart
Normal mode : Install Avast
Restart
Normal mode : no tray icon, cannot start Avast Gui :(

Nothing happened ... :( Other ideas ??
Nice greetings
Alex

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
Do you have any other AV installed on this PC, or any before Avast!?

draxlea

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Definatly not !

maybe microsoft update was updating some "microsoft" AV ... but I don't know where I can look for ...

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
Was this also happening with previous versions of Avast?

When you say that you don't have other security tools, do you mean that Avast is and WAS always the ONLY security tool EVER installed in this system?

draxlea

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
Hello ady4um !

Yes definately ! I installed only Avast as one and only virus protection ! ?!MAYBE?!
A security updated installed any Microsoft AV tool I was just guessing ... ?

Thank you
Nice greetings
Alex

DBone

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Any registry cleaners used?

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »
Well, if there were "never ever" any other security tool in that system, something changed that triggered this new behaviour. I mean, this wasn't "always" like this, was it?

A Windows Update could have "updated" displayed drivers (depending on configurations, although I think this wasn't available for XP).

Other possible influences are "theme - related" tools, docking utilities, some little configuration that we even won't think about, updating to latest display drivers, using "default display drivers from Windows"...

Have you tried using the uninstall utility under Windows Safe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and reinstall from a clean new download of the latest Avast?

I know this last procedure was already asked, but the uninstall utility was not linked to, and no mention of Safe Mode, so please try again and report back (but I can't promise that it will work).

Oh, BTW, when reporting back, please be specific about what exactly you tried, which steps you did and so on.

draxlea

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
Hello !

No, not yet, should I ?
I thought that the avast cleaning tool is killing everything (also registry entries) from
Avast ?!

Which one should I try ? ?

Nice greetings
Alex

draxlea

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:17 PM »
Hi ady4um,

ok I will try the link which you send me again. First I will try to do the uninstall, then I will try a registry cleaner also, and then I will try to install Avast again....

I will report what I have done in which steps ...
and if it works again or not ...

I can't wait to try your link because I tried already a uninstall tool from Avast but yea - let's try it again :)

Thank you for your tipps
take care
good night
Alex

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:52:11 PM »
Just for you to know, there is "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows Control Panel, and there is the tool I linked to. Use the removal tool I linked to, running it from Windows Safe Mode. There is no other "removal" utilities or nothing alike related to Avast.