Author Topic: Computer stopped working  (Read 2270 times)

Stian17

Computer stopped working
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
"I found three instances of 'Win32:Cycbot-KI [ trj ]. I decided to let avast do its thing and after restarting my computer I wasn't able to open most .exe applications and avast was disabled. It was a little frustrating but i found a fix for anyone else with the same problem. (On windows 7) Go to Start/Search and type CMD In the Search Results right click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. In the Command Prompt type SFC /Scannow. Once it's finished corrupted files will be repaired and your .exe's will work once again. cheers."

I got this problem too, but i have windows XP, not 7 and therefore none of this works for me. How do i sort this problem in XP? I can more or less only open Internet Explorer.

xtinguish

Re: Computer stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
When this happened to me on XP, I did a system restore to the last saved restore and luckily this seemed to work, but I know that sometimes it can mess up Avast so that you have to reinstal Avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Computer stopped working
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »
"I found three instances of 'Win32:Cycbot-KI [ trj ]. I decided to let avast do its thing and after restarting my computer I wasn't able to open most .exe applications and avast was disabled. It was a little frustrating but i found a fix for anyone else with the same problem. (On windows 7) Go to Start/Search and type CMD In the Search Results right click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. In the Command Prompt type SFC /Scannow. Once it's finished corrupted files will be repaired and your .exe's will work once again. cheers."

I got this problem too, but i have windows XP, not 7 and therefore none of this works for me. How do i sort this problem in XP? I can more or less only open Internet Explorer.
The same process should work in xp as well, make sure you run the command prompt as administator then copy and paste into the command SFC /Scannow and click enter