Author Topic: will turning off automatic updates help my me?  (Read 3320 times)

Gadget626

will turning off automatic updates help my me?
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »
is there a folder on my computer where avast stores its automatic updates? because i have three computers running avast and only one is connected to the internet. so i would like to keep them all up to date. i dnt to download those big offline updates as it will cost me. i would like to down load the updates manually as they become available and then be able to install them on all my computers. thnx for any helpnstall them on all my computers. thnx for any help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: will turning off automatic updates help my me?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
Unfortunately you can't do that as the virus definition update create new unique folder named for the new update and that is tied into the avast program, you can't just copy it into another installation.

I don't know if copying across the aswdefs.ini file (replacing the existing one) along with the latest VPS folder would enough. You would also have to disable the avast self-defence module when trying this and enable after.

You could also download the full VPS version and use that to update the off-line systems.
- avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 31MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

Note: Ignore the file name in the images of the page that is displayed after clicking the download link, they are for the main program, not for vpsupd.exe which will be downloaded.

Copy to USB and install on off-line systems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gadget626

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
thnx david, i will try the aswdefs.ini first. then if it doesnt work, ill take the second option. but now my question is, how often do i have to download the vpsupd.exe file? because avast is releasing virus updates everyday.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
Actually, the automatic updates are usually twice a day.

The automatic update only downloads a few KB. OTOH, the complete VPS is above 30MB (more close to 40).

The frequency for your offline computers should be in accordance to what you actually do with those systems.

If you continuously add files, or interchange files, that's one thing. If, instead, you use them almost "as-is", once a week should be more than enough.

And, if you could check any interchange of data between those 2 computers and external devices just before copying them, then even once or twice a month could be enough.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
thnx david, i will try the aswdefs.ini first. then if it doesnt work, ill take the second option. but now my question is, how often do i have to download the vpsupd.exe file? because avast is releasing virus updates everyday.

The aswdefs.ini file on its own will do nothing other than possible screw up your existing settings, all it 'appears' to be doing is reporting the current latest VPS version. Without the associated VPS folder it is worthless.

How often you do it (assuming it works) is entirely up to you and what you do on these off-line systems. I can't make that decision for you, it depends on your risk aversion and if you are constantly plugging in USB sticks (of unknown origin or have been used in other systems) or if they are connected to a network (there might be a possibility of cross network infection) and I don't know any of that information.

If going down the full VPS download at 31MB ish (you don't need to also transfer the aswdefs.ini); it would depend on your broadband connection (not something for dial-up) and any download restrictions. On a fast broadband 31MB would only be seconds or a minute or two. So that would be another limiting factor if the risk to these systems isn't great, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gadget626

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »
thank u guys, because of you now i have an idea of how to go about. thnx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
You're welcome, let us know if the copying of the VPS folder and aswdefs.ini file suggestions works or not.