Author Topic: win 98 and I need to do a boot scan!!??  (Read 3575 times)

avpcusr

win 98 and I need to do a boot scan!!??
« on: November 12, 2004, 04:46:08 AM »
A friend of mines PC has several trojans that Avast found, but will not give the option of deleting since they are in the windows directory. I need to do a bootscan like I did on my machine which has XP to get rid of a virus it found. Am I correct in understanding that is not an option if you use win 98???

Anyway to have it do the scan from the c: prompt at boot? I have looked in the help file and it has no information on this at all. What are win 98 users supposed to do, other than upgrade of course.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:win 98 and I need to do a boot scan!!??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 10:12:47 AM »
Boot time scanning is only possible on NT based OS's. Best he can do is either run a full system scan in safe mode or put Avast for dos on a bootable cd-r. Boot from the cd-r and run a full scan.

Also click on the link in my signature and follow the 9 steps as explained there is a very good option.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 10:13:56 AM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:31:13 PM »
Put Avast for dos on a bootable cd-r.

Link and registry key for avast for DOS into Links in my signature. Note, the absence of an internal boot scanning feature is not a limitation of avast (or even the Home version), it's a matter of Windows. In Windows 9x\Me you need to boot into DOS.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 12:47:05 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 05:47:31 PM »
A friend of mines PC has several trojans that Avast found, but will not give the option of deleting since they are in the windows directory.

Another option--run in safe mode (as Eddy says), and instead of using delete option, use send to chest...  After the scan, you can then open up the chest and delete the malware from there, if appropriate.