Author Topic: Avast Recommends Chrome?!  (Read 21424 times)

reddleman

Avast Recommends Chrome?!
« on: September 29, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »
I have the free version of Avast installed, and usually it's great. But today, out of nowhere, Avast gives me a pop-up advertising Google Chrome. Now, this would be pretty annoying all by itself (most people get antivirus software to avoid programs that randomly pop-up ads, among other things). But the fact is, I already have Chrome installed, and I was running Chrome when the ad popped up! Moreover, the text of the ad seems to recognize this, saying, "Along with avast! Free Antivirus you installed the Google Chrome browser. Used by our own Virus Lab, Google Chrome is our choice for most secure web browser." Since I've already installed Chrome, and Avast seems to know I've already installed Chrome, why the hell am I getting advertising for Chrome?!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Avast Recommends Chrome?!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:24:45 AM »
avast! and Google have a high level of cooperation and cross-promotion. Google's browser is of little use to them if installed and not used so an "encouragement" of the kind you've describes comes as no surprise (I think I've seen something like that before on one of my own machines) but does seem a bit clumsily deployed.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

DBone

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »
This is the second time that I've heard this. If I get any pop-ups, I'll be installing MSE immediately. This is why I have an anti-virus in the first place.

Chakra5

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
First let me validate everything reddleman just posted. WT...F! Avast? As if that isn't irritating enough, I come in seeking a solution so as to never get a popup ad again, only to read this dismissive apologist post from Vladimyr. it reminds me of the last time avast behaved badly and I came in to post about it...I got the same type of bull$---.

Avast...this is BAD behavior...please stop it...

Vladimyr....you are not helping the situation or your beloved product. You are adding to the irritation by spinning and being dismissive of a very legitimate beef. Do you honestly view this behavior as acceptable? Do some research as to what the single most unwelcome action a webpage can take, and further ask yourself what would possibly make it any less of an irritant from the users own bloody desktop!? Do you honestly think you answered this persons concern or complaint?

I'm not ready to do so yet, but I'm one step closer to voting with my feet, and that would be a shame.

I have said it then and i'll say it now,... arrogance

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:04:44 AM by Chakra5 »

reddleman

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »
avast! and Google have a high level of cooperation and cross-promotion. Google's browser is of little use to them if installed and not used so an "encouragement" of the kind you've describes comes as no surprise (I think I've seen something like that before on one of my own machines) but does seem a bit clumsily deployed.

Okay, it's not an encouragement, it's an advertisement, pure and simple. I understand the need for companies to create revenue, and I'd be fine with ads on the Avast website or even within the Avast interface. Even the bundling of Avast with Chrome or Chrome with Avast is understandable, even if it is annoying. But pop-up ads are crossing the line. Using Avast pop-up ads to advertise Chrome ruins users' trust of both companies. The fact that the pop-up ad seems to be targeted at those who already have installed Chrome just ruins that trust even more.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:55 AM »
First let me validate everything reddleman just posted. WT...F! Avast? As if that isn't irritating enough, I come in seeking a solution so as to never get a popup ad again, only to read this dismissive apologist post from Vladimyr. it reminds me of the last time avast behaved badly and I came in to post about it...I got the same type of bull$---.

Vladimyr....you are not helping the situation or your beloved product. You are adding to the irritation by spinning and being dismissive of a very legitimate beef. Do you honestly view this behavior as acceptable? Do some research as to what the single most unwelcome action a webpage can take, and further ask yourself what would possibly make it any less of an irritant from the users own bloody desktop!? Do you honestly think you answered this persons concern or complaint?

I'm not ready to do so yet, but I'm one step closer to voting with my feet, and that would be a shame.

I've certainly been told then. Warning! Speak plainly and you too will end up in the firing line.

"Dismissive apologist"? "Spinning and being dismissive of a very legitimate beef"?

I made no attempt, nor am I in any position, to answer a complaint. What I thought I was doing was providing a plausible explanation as to why avast! would be recommending use of Google Chrome.

I support and encourage you 100% to speak your mind on this issue. Popups can be annoying and your apparent fury at this one is plainly evident but I do wonder why you seem so intent on "mowing down" anyone not as equally irritated as yourself? For me, choice of PC security software not being a matter of life and death (e.g. some of my closest and most respected friends really do prefer to use AVG Free), I find it difficult to rise to such a level of emotional intensity whereby I could describe any piece of software as "beloved".

PS. When it comes to voting with one's feet, I find the little pencils they give you too hard to hold between my toes. ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 07:41:26 AM »
Okay, it's not an encouragement, it's an advertisement, pure and simple. I understand the need for companies to create revenue, and I'd be fine with ads on the Avast website or even within the Avast interface. Even the bundling of Avast with Chrome or Chrome with Avast is understandable, even if it is annoying. But pop-up ads are crossing the line. Using Avast pop-up ads to advertise Chrome ruins users' trust of both companies. The fact that the pop-up ad seems to be targeted at those who already have installed Chrome just ruins that trust even more.

Now we wait for an authorized response.

dansorin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I have the free version of Avast installed, and usually it's great. But today, out of nowhere, Avast gives me a pop-up advertising Google Chrome. Now, this would be pretty annoying all by itself (most people get antivirus software to avoid programs that randomly pop-up ads, among other things). But the fact is, I already have Chrome installed, and I was running Chrome when the ad popped up! Moreover, the text of the ad seems to recognize this, saying, "Along with avast! Free Antivirus you installed the Google Chrome browser. Used by our own Virus Lab, Google Chrome is our choice for most secure web browser." Since I've already installed Chrome, and Avast seems to know I've already installed Chrome, why the hell am I getting advertising for Chrome?!
did you install Chrome when offered by the avast installer? this would be an explanation.
I installed Chrome separately, not when offered by avast installer, and haven't seen any ads until now.

reddleman

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »
did you install Chrome when offered by the avast installer? this would be an explanation.
I installed Chrome separately, not when offered by avast installer, and haven't seen any ads until now.

I may have. Avast and Chrome were two of the programs that I installed right away when I bought this computer about a year ago. I don't remember if I actually installed Chrome through Avast or not, but since I was intending on installing both anyway, I probably did. I should also say that, in the year or so I've had Avast installed on this computer, this is the first time I remember getting a pop-up ad from Avast, which is why I was so surprised.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Now we wait for an authorized response.
Please see Vincent Steckler's response in the avast! blog:
Avast and Google Chrome
https://blog.avast.com/2009/12/03/avast-and-google-chrome

Vincent Steckler is the CEO of avast!

Chakra5

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »

I may have. Avast and Chrome were two of the programs that I installed right away when I bought this computer about a year ago. I don't remember if I actually installed Chrome through Avast or not, but since I was intending on installing both anyway, I probably did. I should also say that, in the year or so I've had Avast installed on this computer, this is the first time I remember getting a pop-up ad from Avast, which is why I was so surprised.

That would seem odd to install chrome through the avast installer and then _get_ a popup still pushing chrome, would it not? Also I for one installed chrome on my own and got the popup. Or am I reading you backwards?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 05:11:43 AM by Chakra5 »

Chakra5

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:12 AM »
A possible solution??

I have gone into Settings > Community and unchecked "show avast! recommended features" and "show social networking features", the first of which smacks of " allow us to sell you stuff". We'll see how that works out, hope that helps other folks.

But even if this suppresses the bad behavior, it should not be opt out. I should not have to work to _stop_ bad behavior.

Chakra5

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »

I've certainly been told then. Warning! Speak plainly and you too will end up in the firing line.

Yeah, right, I'm jumping your ass for being a "plain speaker"....no actually a plain speaker might have chosen to honestly answer the questions I put to you on the matter.

"Dismissive apologist"? "Spinning and being dismissive of a very legitimate beef"?

I made no attempt, nor am I in any position, to answer a complaint. What I thought I was doing was providing a plausible explanation as to why avast! would be recommending use of Google Chrome.

And you can't see how that parses as condoning it? And the complaint isn't remotely about recommending chrome...that's a straw-man... It's about the method of doing so.

I support and encourage you 100% to speak your mind on this issue. Popups can be annoying and your apparent fury at this one is plainly evident but I do wonder why you seem so intent on "mowing down" anyone not as equally irritated as yourself?

Yet another straw-man. I wasn't mowing you down for not sharing my state or irritation. And you seem sharp enough to know that already. You responded to a _clear_ complaint, that also include a few pointed if somewhat retorical questions...but only seeming to notice the questions, as if they occurred in a vacuum, and then responded with an answer that for all the world seems to me to take the position that avasts behavior was _reasonable_ "if clumsy"?? It comes across as dismissive as hell brother.

Google's browser is of little use to them if installed and not used so an "encouragement" of the kind you've describes comes as no surprise.

Well color me surprised....I'm clearly not alone.

When you wear "evangelist", you are gonna rub irritated people the wrong way with that my friend. But hey, label me as you will. Stay "oh so reasonable" while stating "I find it difficult to rise to such a level of emotional intensity"...and most people will fail to notice ...well I'll leave it unsaid lest I be labeled "furious" or something....but hey, pretty well crafted.

Have the last word sir
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:17:53 AM by Chakra5 »

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:19:29 AM »
Haven't mastered the 6th chakra?
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »
Have the last word sir

My last word is my first "word", which remains for each to consider the merits thereof as he/she sees fit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:50:32 PM by Vladimyr »