Author Topic: Avast Recommends Chrome?!  (Read 21423 times)

Mr.Agent

Re: Avast Recommends Chrome?!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
Yes avast! recommend Chrome you got something again Google ?

Well i can say its better that he recommend Chrome than Ask Toolbar in my opinion...

Chrome has never been known as a malware but Ask Toolbar of course yes...

Mr.Agent

PS : I think this is because Google and avast! is partner. So both recommend each of their product they want. Im happy if that what i said is really true because Google is a big business and avast! can be safe with Google more than Ask...

Nesivos

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
1.  Avast makes good stuff
2.  It costs money to develop, maintain and improve good stuff
3.  Avast has a close working relationship with Google.
4.  You get what you pay for.  If you want to get rid of the pop-up just buy an avast! Pro or AIS license or find an inferior anti-Virus product that is free and has no pop-ups.

This is not rocket science.

This is life.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »
Well said Nesivos.

But the 4. its just too true i never see AIS to offer chrome or or got pop ups the only thing its has is news service but that not annoying its give you news...

So me i can say the pop ups is well made i can say it because alot program like Avira and AVG do pop ups but its just weird and its ruin their interface or pop you like everytime. avast! for me has the best pop ups... lol.

Its user friendly the pop ups that what i wanna say. Its do his job on when it is need.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
I use "free" and have never seen any pop-ups at all.
I don't remember if the option was available when I installed avast.
I don't use Chrome either.
This begs the question...why some and not others?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »

+1

No Chrome pop-ups here either.  Chrome is not installed.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Alievitan

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »
I believe Avast has walked the advertisement line pretty well.  A colleague of mine actually took advantage of one of the Avast ads offering discount b/c he wanted the pro edition.  

Also with Nevisos point about the Google/Avast partnership.  I believe Google also bundles Avast in the google pack.  The bigger the Avast free user base, the bigger the potential for new Pro Avast users which incidentally requires sporadic advertisement.  

Also there shouldn't be a problem with Avast getting a small cut for every new Chrome install with the pop up.  It is relevant stuff, infrequent and it isn't intrusive.  If avast did what Avira did with the ask.com toolbar basically trojaning the thing in new installs or update prompts, then we will have a problem.  

jrace

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
This begs the question...why some and not others?  ???

Same over here!
Could there be a connection with  "Settings/Community/Community Features"  ???
I have both features unchecked! ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:34:59 PM by jrace »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
This begs the question...why some and not others?  ???

Same over here!
Could there be a connection with  "Settings/Community/Community Features"  ???
I have both features unchecked! ;D

Same here.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »

No Chrome pop-up either, but if you read Vlk/Igor's reply you would only get this if you had installed Chrome, I opted out of the Chrome install and don't have it installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »
No Chrome pop-up either, but if you read Vlk/Igor's reply you would only get this if you had installed Chrome, I opted out of the Chrome install and don't have it installed.

I got the same impression from those answers, but then if the user already installed Chrome when he installed Avast (or whenever), I can't understand what exactly the intention of the pop up was. ???

sjadventures

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »
1.  Avast makes good stuff
2.  It costs money to develop, maintain and improve good stuff
3.  Avast has a close working relationship with Google.
4.  You get what you pay for.  If you want to get rid of the pop-up just buy an avast! Pro or AIS license or find an inferior anti-Virus product that is free and has no pop-ups.

This is not rocket science.

This is life.

Amen! Never did understand how someone getting something for free can whine so much. If you don't like it download something else easy as that.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »

Same over here!
Could there be a connection with  "Settings/Community/Community Features"  ???
I have both features unchecked! ;
[/quote]
I have the top (participate) checked and not the bottom two.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »

I got the same impression from those answers, but then if the user already installed Chrome when he installed Avast (or whenever), I can't understand what exactly the intention of the pop up was. ???

My understanding of the intention of the popup is that it would only occur where both the following conditions are met.

1. Chrome installed when prompted during 'avast! Free' install.
2. Chrome installation has not been used.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

ady4um

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »
My understanding of the intention of the popup is that it would only occur where both the following conditions are met.

1. Chrome installed when prompted during 'avast! Free' install.
2. Chrome installation has not been used.

Those could had been "conditions" (they were NOT the conditions in this particular case, as you can read from the above reports), but the goal/target/intention/objective would still be unclear to me. I'm starting to think this was a simple mistake ::).

RobinHoodSnr

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 05:34:04 AM »
I couldn't believe my eyes when i UNTICKED Google Crome, but Avast STILL installs it...I moved from Avira due to their ASK installation...now Avast comes out with the same annoying thing...INSTALLING GOOGLE CROME...( hence the reason i stopped using Avira ). I have just started to like Avast, but it seems its becoming a "sluggish" AV...
Could you guys maybe ged RID of GC as in my eyes its a waste of download size. I'm a computer tech and usually install ( these last 3 months )Avast, but if THIS happens...i'll rather revert back to Avira, as Avast and Avira's "rating-score" is about the same...