Author Topic: Avast Recommends Chrome?!  (Read 21422 times)

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Avast Recommends Chrome?!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
well if thats the case its a bug in the installer, not deliberately forcing google chrome on u...

please report ur system specs to Avast! developers.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
well if thats the case its a bug in the installer...

It was a bug and has been fixed meanwhile.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

skay_baltimore

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
I couldn't believe my eyes when i UNTICKED Google Crome, but Avast STILL installs it...I moved from Avira due to their ASK installation...now Avast comes out with the same annoying thing...INSTALLING GOOGLE CROME...( hence the reason i stopped using Avira ). I have just started to like Avast, but it seems its becoming a "sluggish" AV...
Could you guys maybe ged RID of GC as in my eyes its a waste of download size. I'm a computer tech and usually install ( these last 3 months )Avast, but if THIS happens...i'll rather revert back to Avira, as Avast and Avira's "rating-score" is about the same...
It's sort of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. I used Avira until they made it harder to disable avira.notify.exe (or whatever was the cause of that annoying popup). At least through Avast 6, the option to not install Chrome, or have it set as the default browser, was pretty clear. In that sense, I preferred the Avast approach to the Avira approach. But again...it's a matter of personal preference. I personally don't like getting popups from any program installed on my system.

Jack 1000

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
This is the second time that I've heard this. If I get any pop-ups, I'll be installing MSE immediately. This is why I have an anti-virus in the first place.

While MSE is OK, the problem with that is:

1.) You will only get updates once every 24 hours.
2.) No auto-sand-boxing of suspicious files
3.) No Boot Time Scan Options.
4.) No automatic updates streaming with instant updates for emergency malware detention and file reputation.
5.) Having to wait 4-5 hours to do a full scan on MSE, maybe more, when Avast can do it in about 30-45 minutes.

For the once a year pop-up that might promote a service and the need to enter an annual license key, (the one good thing about MSE that you don't have to do.) I'll take the throughout the day protection of Avast 7 over MSE.  You just can't get what Avast 7 offers in any other free, or in fact, most advanced paid security programs.

Jack

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
I am very disappointed that Avast has an affiliation with Google but I suspected this because of how they push the Chrome browser. I try my best to avoid anything that has to do with Google because I don't appreciate how Google tries to get themselves into EVERYTHING and I don't like how they profile people on the Internet to fulfill target advertizing and I know they do this because it is in their user agreements for everything they have anything to do with.  If I wanted to be profiled for target advertizing I'd sign up for it, but of course with Google there is NO OPTION.  Another example of how Google is getting their clutches on everything Internet related is the fact that my Internet Provider went with Google Email Servers unfortunately and the  reason for this is because Google makes offers to venders that they cannot refuse based on cost efficiency so that Google can get their clutches on as much email interchange information as they can for advertising purposes. I am using POP mail to avoid the Gmail footprint on my email service as much as possible but I still can't avoid their Email servers of course.  I could go on and on as far as how Google forces themselves into our lives regarding Internet related services, but I will leave it at that. I guess there is no way of avoiding the onslaught of Google into our private lives if we want to use the Internet and email services unfortunately.

But I w ill say ONE THING I'LL NEVER DO and that is I WILL NEVER USE THEIR CHROME OR GMAIL, PERIOD, for all the reasons I've stated so they can advertise until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned it makes no difference to me.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

norel

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Same here. Will never install anything with the Google name on it if possible. Stopped using Google search long ago. When I installed Avast 7 recently it was easy to opt out, which I do appreciate.  :)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
The only part of Google's "power bloc" that I'm involved with (that I know of) is YouTube, where I registered to be able to set preferences and to post comments.  My default search tool is Dogpile, which, while it uses Google as one of its search engines, doesn't AFAIK exchange personally identifiable info with Google.

With respect to switching to another a-v, one important point's been overlooked, and that's the level of helpful support here.  I don't think any competing product, free or otherwise, offers anywhere near as much support as avast, particularly here in the forums.  Sure, there been lots of problems with, say, iYogi, but the almost standard reply to complaints about them is that the user with the problem should have looked for help here first.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
The only part of Google's "power bloc" that I'm involved with (that I know of) is YouTube, where I registered to be able to set preferences and to post comments.  My default search tool is Dogpile, which, while it uses Google as one of its search engines, doesn't AFAIK exchange personally identifiable info with Google.

With respect to switching to another a-v, one important point's been overlooked, and that's the level of helpful support here.  I don't think any competing product, free or otherwise, offers anywhere near as much support as avast, particularly here in the forums.  Sure, there been lots of problems with, say, iYogi, but the almost standard reply to complaints about them is that the user with the problem should have looked for help here first.

Yep, I won't use anything related to Google as I said if I can help it at all. All one has to do is monitor their data stream while surfing the net where you'll see "waiting for www.google-analytics.com" status all the time to know how widespread and prevalent Google has spread it's entrenched tentacles into absolutely EVERYTHING we do on the Internet for the purpose to accumulate preference information on users.  So I'm not about to help them out in their attempt to completely take over information processing exchange of data, their doing just fine without my help.  It's nearly impossible to avoid Google altogether however.  If Google would allow for opting out in their quest to accumulate information of users then that would be one thing but sadly they don't.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:21:47 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
This is the second time that I've heard this. If I get any pop-ups, I'll be installing MSE immediately. This is why I have an anti-virus in the first place.

While MSE is OK, the problem with that is:

1.) You will only get updates once every 24 hours.
2.) No auto-sand-boxing of suspicious files
3.) No Boot Time Scan Options.
4.) No automatic updates streaming with instant updates for emergency malware detention and file reputation.
5.) Having to wait 4-5 hours to do a full scan on MSE, maybe more, when Avast can do it in about 30-45 minutes.

For the once a year pop-up that might promote a service and the need to enter an annual license key, (the one good thing about MSE that you don't have to do.) I'll take the throughout the day protection of Avast 7 over MSE.  You just can't get what Avast 7 offers in any other free, or in fact, most advanced paid security programs.

Jack
4-5 hours or more? Are you serious? I just ran a full MSE scan on my laptop with a 750GB HDD that has 3 primary partitions: C (System, 63 GB total size), D (data, 546 GB total size), E (system image backups, 89 GB total size), with over 350,000 items scanned, and it took around 33 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:03:12 PM by skay_baltimore »

Jack 1000

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:03 AM »
I don't think any competing product, free or otherwise, offers anywhere near as much support as avast, particularly here in the forums.  Sure, there been lots of problems with, say, iYogi, but the almost standard reply to complaints about them is that the user with the problem should have looked for help here first.

+1!

Jack

phyniks

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »
Chrome is my favorite browser,but in some cases it is not totally compatible with avast webshield:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94344.0