Author Topic: avast 4 Pro stopped automatic iVAS Update (?)  (Read 9462 times)

wanchan

avast 4 Pro stopped automatic iVAS Update (?)
« on: November 12, 2004, 07:36:34 AM »
Since applied the following latest program update, I noticed my avast 4 Pro stopped automatic iVAS update. Apparently I have update iVAS manually each time when I receive the "New iVAS update released" email notice.

Program update last applied:
avast! 4 Home/Pro Edition
program: 4.1.501    29.10.2004

I wonder if anyone else has also noticed this.  What would be the time interval between the time of my receiving email notice and the time avast 4 Pro actually updates itself? I may well be too impatient to wait for avast update itself and choose to update manually too early.  ;)

PS: Just bought avast 4 Pro, mostly because nice dudes are making and supporting it ;D. I dont want to see any surprise ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 03:32:14 PM by wanchan »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:avast 4 Pro stopped automatic iVAS Update
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 12:28:19 PM »
Since applied the following latest program update, I noticed my avast 4 Pro stopped automatic iVAS update. Apparently I have update iVAS manually each time when I receive the "New iVAS update released" email notice.

For me, not... When I see the email notice, I can read: "You're still using the last avast update"...

I wonder if anyone else has also noticed this.  What would be the time interval between the time of my receiving email notice and the time avast 4 Pro actually updates itself? I may well be too impatient to wait for avast update itself and choose to update manually too early.  ;)

In fact, when the email is received it[/b] starts the update process.
This process of updating could take some time and you could be with the sensation that it's late...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 02:34:16 PM »
I too have experienced the same problem (no auto update), but I only have the 4.1 Home version, so no push updates.

This could have coincided with the 4.1.501 update (preparation for version 4.5), although this would be hard to define. The exact date is hard to pinpoint as you don't tend to notice not receiving something that happens automatically for a few days.

I haven't changed any settings with my connection setting  - dial-up and - always ask. I have tried to change these settings and close/reboot and change them back in the hope that they will revert to auto-update - ask.

I haven't been overly concerned as manual updates work ok and with 4.5 just a day or so away, I will wait until then to seek a solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wanchan

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 03:29:37 PM »
I am not worried, because I feel I am in good hands. If avast users can confirm the problem is out there, I am sure it will be fixed in next Program Update ;)

geekgal

Re: avast 4 Pro stopped automatic iVAS Update (?)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:24:25 PM »
Hi,
I'm a avast! v4.1 Home Ed user, running on Win XP.  I have the same problem as well.  I'm using Build - 4.1.501, VPS at 15Nov2004 v0447-0.

The avast program has not been able to do the automatic updates since a few months ago.

I get a Red System Message box :
"An error has occurred while attempting to update!  Click here for more information ..."

"Information about current update:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download12.avast.com (67.19.134.114:80).

Total time: 8:07"

When I execute the VPS file which I manually downloaded, I get this error message :
"Can't install VPS update.  Please, report following errorcodes:
SI:0x00000005
ST:0x00000005
LE:0x00000000.
"

Please help.  Thanks.

MarcZ

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:04:46 PM »
geekgal

Have you tried to update to the latest Avast? The latest version is 4.5.561  Check it out at www.avast.com
I would download and reinstall avast asap.  By any chance, have you guys been using Avast for about 14 months.  I'm pretty sure you have to reregister it for free either within 30 days of first install or you won't get updated. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:11:04 PM »
Make sure you have selected "NO PROXY" in the connection settings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:01:33 AM »
Basically, check:
1)  If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

2)  Check you firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
     If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it)

3)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

concerned807

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 10:21:29 PM »
After I updated to version 4.6.603 Pro, the Avast stopped auto-update of iVAS again. I have push updates with email notifications. I am getting only emails but Avast Pro just sit quiet not updating itself. I have mannually update iVAS and maual updates are OK.  To verify if this is the case, I intentionally waited for two days after receiving a push update email.

Internet connection type: DSL 24x7x365

My Avast Update settings:
[Update (Basic)]
Virus database: Automatic
Program: Ask when update is available

[iVAS details]
Runnign mode: Normal
Push iVAS:
Enable
Add information about performed action into email

[Update (Connections)]
None was checked

With the above settings, iVAS update was working flawlessly till the last version prior to version 4.6.603. And I have never modified the above settings.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem in particular with Avast 4.6.603? Is this problem uniquely related to version 4.6.603?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 10:26:13 PM by concerned807 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 02:04:25 AM »
Program: Ask when update is available

It will wait like 7 days to be updated to avoid site flooding. Avast users database random pick the installations to be updated and after one week all of them will be updated but, to avoid crashing the update site, only few users will be 'prompted' to update each time.

[Update (Connections)]
None was checked

Why?

concerned807

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 02:24:00 AM »
It will wait like 7 days to be updated to avoid site flooding. Avast users database random pick the installations to be updated and after one week all of them will be updated but, to avoid crashing the update site, only few users will be 'prompted' to update each time.
I understand perfectly the reasoning here, but till version 4.6.603 my Avast was getting almost immediately iVAS automatic update after I received the Push Update email notifications. I recall this very clearly because I just spent too much time working in front of my computer.;D

[Update (Connections)]
None was checked

Why?
Because with nothing was checked, updates were automated very well. I did have problem way back when I using version 4.1 with the option, "permanent connection to the Internet". However I will now put back check to this option.

Update (Connections)
My computer is permanently connected to the Internet. (Checked)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 02:29:56 AM »
But till version 4.6.603 my Avast was getting almost immediately iVAS automatic update after I received the Push Update email notifications.

Are you sure you're talking about 'program' updates and not just the VPS (virus database) ones?

concerned807

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 02:38:30 AM »
But till version 4.6.603 my Avast was getting almost immediately iVAS automatic update after I received the Push Update email notifications.

Are you sure you're talking about 'program' updates and not just the VPS (virus database) ones?

I am talking about virus database update which has been configured to complete automatically in my case.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 02:50:36 AM »
concerned807
You keep mentioning that you have version 4.6.603 but you've never mentioned what you're current
VPS version is. That should be 0508-4.
If it is, then you're up to date.
By me the update always occurs befor the e-mail notification.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

concerned807

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 06:28:39 AM »
You keep mentioning that you have version 4.6.603 but you've never mentioned what you're current
VPS version is. That should be 0508-4. If it is, then you're up to date.
0508-4 is what I have. I manually updated to it. I am keeping referring to 4.6.603 because that Avast stopped auto-updating itself after update to 4.6.603, and that I want to find out if this is a problem 4.6.603 has caused.
Most importantly, I want to bring this to the Avast team's attention, and have this bug (or whatever) fixed in the next version. I am having problems though small with 4.6.603, e.g. email and NNTP problems. I only hope the next version will none of these.

By me the update always occurs befor the e-mail notification.
My past experience is the contrary.

One question:
Will I be able to receive automatic virus db updates with a relatively old program version of Avast? I regret I have bothered update to the lastest version. 4.5.561 was working perfectly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 06:42:32 AM by concerned807 »