Author Topic: unp.........tmp files?  (Read 38038 times)

neommy

Re: unp.........tmp files?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Thank you for the removal utility page, ady4um, will use in the future!
And yes I cleaned all the tmp files before reinstallation manually in the safe mode, I even cleaned the registry manually, for the word " Avast".
I think best will be a new system installation in a short time, and until that manually cleaning the tmp files from time to time.

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »
... and until that manually cleaning the tmp files from time to time.

If you have enough space, then I would try leaving it "as-is". Windows itself also partially works like this, automatically cleaning some areas only when "really" needed.

By "letting it be", you could also test this Avast temporal files/folders during and up to, say, 40 days, to check if either the number or the total size is still increasing, or it has stabilized in a certain value (more or less).

It may well be "just annoying but nothing to really worry about".

neommy

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »
Yes, I will leave it as it is. But as I mentioned in my first message, ( when I understood the problem because of the slowing at IE, the number of files were 850000! ) it takes a long time to delete after such a build up of files. I will delete them in every two weeks at most. And I will watch the situation, as DavidR mentioned this is a very weird problem.
Thank you for your help DavidR and ady4um.   

spg SCOTT

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
This is interesting...

Just got an alert in this location...

Code: [Select]
08/10/2011 16:55:47 C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\_avast_\unp208123638.tmp [L] HTML:Iframe-inf (0)
File was successfully moved to chest...

FileSystemShield alerted. On what should have been a webshield alert...weird...
(I say webshield because it is a website that is causing this alert.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
Well I still think that there an issue with the temp variables, since the webshlock.txt file as far as I'm aware would have to be in the folder in which the files should be.

If webshlock.txt file isn't in that folder then I guess any files sent there aren't being scanned by the web shield, that would also follow that the folder wouldn't be cleared and why the subsequent detection by the File System Shield on a file that essentially shouldn't be there.

Definitely weird.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »

Evidently FSS is scanning that file, as it would do with any html file in any other location. WS should scan "things" from a website (essentially). Avast is not interpreting this file as from a website, but as a file as any other.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 11:04:11 PM »

Evidently FSS is scanning that file, as it would do with any html file in any other location. WS should scan "things" from a website (essentially). Avast is not interpreting this file as from a website, but as a file as any other.

I understand that, but what I meant is that the webshield should have got it first.

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 11:25:27 PM »
I understand that, but what I meant is that the webshield should have got it first.

I understood what you meant. I just disagree with the "absolute" character of the assumption. If the file was not infected when you actually got to the original website (meaning the file was infected *after* that moment), or if Avast was not able to identify the specific malware in that same moment, then the FSS can find that file after that first moment, either because now the FSS now finds the infection (that maybe wasn't there before), or because a new database update is able to find the infection (and previously, it wasn't).

Just to be clear, I am NOT saying you are incorrect. I am saying that there are other possibilities other than "the Web Shield is not working as it should".

If the WS was supposed to catch that and it didn't, and just a few seconds after that the FSS warned you (with no database update in between), then you are correct in your assumption. But I would extend that a little bit forward. Why the Network Shield didn't stop the file from being downloaded and saved in your system in the first place?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
Well, the FSS alerted on the page loading, which is what made me assume that it was missed by the webshield...I see what you meant now, about my choice of words :P
Either way, I am not exactly sure what is happening there...maybe this is slightly OT here, I don't know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:24 AM »
Is the webshlock.txt file in that location, as I suspect that it isn't and I don't know if that is required to lock the for for scanning by the web shield. And subsequent removal from the folder on successful completion of the scan.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
The webshlock.txt is in C:\Windows\Temp\_avast_ where it should be.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
It's most likely the Script Shield, not Web Shield, and possibly has something to do with the IE Protected Mode.

neommy, are those leftover unp*.tmp files empty (0 bytes in size), or do they contain any data?
Furthermore, are you logged on as an administrator, or some other user?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:55:02 PM by igor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
The webshlock.txt is in C:\Windows\Temp\_avast_ where it should be.

Yes, that is where I would expect it to be along with the unp.....tmp files. But I will bet there isn't one in the C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\_avast_\unp208123638.tmp folder, which is what I'm on about.
e.g. If it isn't in the same folder as the unp.....tmp files:

Is the webshlock.txt file in that location, as I suspect that it isn't and I don't know if that is required to lock the for for scanning by the web shield. And subsequent removal from the folder on successful completion of the scan.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »
No there isn't one in the Temp\Low\_avast_ folder, never was. ;)

Nearly replied to igor earlier but caught his edit ;D

neommy

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »
It's most likely the Script Shield, not Web Shield, and possibly has something to do with the IE Protected Mode.

neommy, are those leftover unp*.tmp files empty (0 bytes in size), or do they contain any data?
Furthermore, are you logged on as an administrator, or some other user?

They are 0 bytes in size, and do not contain any data.
As far as I know I am logged as an administrator.