Author Topic: Avast Free Re-registration Problem  (Read 13605 times)

TwoShoes

Avast Free Re-registration Problem
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:57:49 PM »
Running Avast Free Ver. 6.0.1289.  I got a message today that my current registration is about to expire and need to do a re-register.  When I clicked on "Register Now" I quickly begin to see a pop-up saying something like "Retrieving Information..." but this pop-up is immediately covered up by a second pop-up again saying my registration is about to expire and gives two "Select" choices being Avast Free or Avast Internet Security.  If I click on the Select box for Avast Free nothing happens but it I click on the Select box for Avast Internet Security It wants me to fill in info necessary to purchase this product which I do not want to do.  I have no choice but to close this pop-up because it can't be moved to see if anything else is waiting for a response.  Essentially I can't get around this second pop-up to re-register for Avast Free which is what I want to do.  Any recommendations?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free Re-registration Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »
Can you not try the old Alt+Tab key trick to switch between open windows, to get to the registration one.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TwoShoes

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:42:07 AM »
Thanks David for the recommendation but no success with it.  Whatever this pop-up is, it is always on top and hides most, if not all, of what is behind it.  Any other recommendations?

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:55:36 AM »
I would suggest trying to "drag" one window to a different location (either the first one to appear, or the second that is bothering). Do it just as if it was a normal window.

If that doesn't work, then maybe temporarily changing the screen resolution would lead them to appear at a slightly different location, giving you the opportunity to , at least, click on the desired window to bring it up front. After you finish your registration, you may return back to the normal screen resolution (which should return also all the desktop icons to the previous nomal location).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »
Thanks David for the recommendation but no success with it.  Whatever this pop-up is, it is always on top and hides most, if not all, of what is behind it.  Any other recommendations?

You could try rebooting and see if you can jump into the avastUI and try to re-register before getting the registration pop-up, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DarthRedhead

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 05:36:37 AM »
I'm also running the free Avast free version 6.0.1289, and have been using Avast for many years.  I'm having the same problem. 

For the past several days--perhaps even a week--I've been getting the message that my registration will expire soon.  I've clicked on the "re-register" link, which then flashes a message that says something like "retrieving information."  A pop-up window then appears, which SEEMS to give me the choice between the free version and the paid version.  However, the select button for the free version is deselected and gray, while the select button for the paid version is green, active and can be clicked.  True, when I move my cursor over the select button for the free version, the cursor does turn into the selection hand.  However, since that option is deselected, nothing happens when I click on it.  I've restarted the re-registration process, restarted my computer, tried on a variety of days, but have gotten the exact same result each time. 

It appears that Avast is no longer giving me the option of the free version, and I must pay to use it.  However, in various places in the software, it still says I can opt to re-register for the free edition.  Is this just a programming error on the pop-up "re-registration" window?  Or, must we purchase the full version if we wish to continue using Avast? 

Any help you can give is much appreciated!  :)

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »
I would suggest trying "the old method":
http://www.avast.com/en-us/resend-license-free-antivirus.php
or
http://www.avast.com/en-us/registration-free-antivirus.php

And you should check the "junk mail" folder after that.

I currently don't even remember how to proceed to add the free license to Avast 6 when it is received by email, but that's another story :).

TwoShoes

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
After trying all of the various suggestions mentioned with no success I did the offline registration method.  Here is how I did it.  Manually bring up the Avast User Interface.  Then follow the following path.  Maintenance -->  Registration -->  expand the Offline Registration area (down arrow on right) -->  Registration Form.  Complete the necessary info and submit.  An email will be sent to you with a registration key.  When you get the key follow this same path above but for the last step choose Insert the license key instead of Registration form.  Then cut and paste the key into the box and submit.  You will then be registered.  Hopefully someone will find the problem so others don't need to follow this path.

DarthRedhead

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
The old-fashioned "registration key" way worked perfectly.  Thank you for the help!!  :)  :)

irdogg

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:16:11 AM »
im having this issue seems to be shady looking upgrade works free doesnt hmmm  >:(

ejd

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
I am using the home 6.0.829 version of Avast and I am also having the same issue. I get the notifications that Avast will expire in (countdown goes here...) and if I click to register I get a choice of clicking the Free version or the paid version.

The free version provides a link but nothing happens when clicked. The paid takes me into the store for Avast. It seems to me Avast is phasing out the home version?

I really like Avast and have had no to little virus issues since running it. i just wish if they are stopping the free version to let me know that clearly.

I also tried the "old" registration method but have not received an email back yet.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
im having this issue seems to be shady looking upgrade works free doesnt hmmm  >:(

There is nothing shady there have been indications that this is a server issue. I have had avast free for over seven and a half years and never had a problem renewing it. Since the new update method from the UI there haven't been that many issues reported; though recently that has increased.

Either keep trying at different times or use the old method of registration, links in Reply #6 above.

lee88

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
I have the same issue, can not re-register and this has evidently been going on for about a month now. Does Avast not want people to be able to re-register their free edition?? But more importantly, why hasn't this been fixed??

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
I have the same issue, can not re-register and this has evidently been going on for about a month now. Does Avast not want people to be able to re-register their free edition?? But more importantly, why hasn't this been fixed??

Try here: http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline barryfs

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
You can add me to the list of users experiencing this issue.
Avast tells me that it is due to expire, I select the re-register option.
It gives me 2 choices, 1 for the free edition, and 1 for the internet sercurity package - however, the button to select the free edition is greyed-out, and does nothing if I select it.
I have just opted for the manual registration, and am waiting for the e-mail to be sent to me.

I guess this may be a bug with this version of Avast.
Maybe VLK or someone could look into this, as, if it is a bug, it will start to affect lots of people.

BTW I am using Win XP sp3 and Avast 6.0.1289.