Author Topic: Avast trial expired in less than 24 hours, won't accept license key..?  (Read 7257 times)

netuser

A friend of mine installed avast onto a computer and i really like it, i ended up buying a year subscription, it was really good. So when nortons decided to spaz out on my new computer i downloaded avast 5. THis was yesterday. It seemed to be working fine.
Today i installed itunes and had to restart the computer.
When it was started avast was not turned on anymore. It was saying that i needed to register, which is weird because i only got it yesterday afternoon. Considering it was free anyway i decided to register.
Clicking on the "Register Now" button brought a little box saying "retrieving information" with a little spinning circle thing then went to another screen that gave me two options, "stay with avast free antivirus" or "upgrade to avast internet security 99.95". When i click on "stay with free antivirus" it takes me back to the screen that says "Register Now".
I did this loop a few times then decided to try something else.
Down the bottom of the screen is two options "registration form" and "Insert License Key". I clicked on the "registration form" button, which took me to the avast website where i inputted all my details. I received an email with my license key.
I then clicked on the License Key button, copy and pasted the numbers and i get a little box saying. "the system cannot find the file specified"
So what do i do? BTW I'm not really that good at computers so if you coulod put the answer in really easy to understand language that would be so helpful. Thanks!

netuser

Here is other information that may help too.

In the registration information page it says
Current registration will expire on   -
Date of registration   -

And on the update page it says

Last update attempt 01/01/1970!!!!!!

I really hope someone can help me, his computer is bad enough without it getting viruses.

thanks all!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
will this help?

avast! 5.x: Inserting the license key into avast! Free Antivirus
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

CharleyO

Welcome to the forums, netuser   :)

Part if the problem might be how you uninstalled Norton. Using Add/remove Programs (nor even the included uninstall in the Norton program) will not be enough.

Please use the appropriate tool at the link below if you have not already done so.

http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccommon/asp/symcu_defcontent_view.asp?ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=6963b863-9269-4ec4-8a44-4e8803bcb0dc&docid=20070816103157EN

moomoo

Re: Avast trial expired in less than 24 hours, won't accept license key..?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Here I am with the same problem.

Moreover, I installed Google Chrome with Avast, and now Chrome doesn't want to start at all. Also Acrobat Reader seems to stop working leaving me without access to e.g. manuals...

Repair function does not work. I am also unable to uninstall avast from add/remove program in control panel. I did remove avast in safe mode and then I was able to successfully register, however... the next day situation repeated.

This is happening on my new laptop. No other antivirus was installed there before. There was Trend Micro Titanium Internet security installed, but it was removed using the guide available from their website.

Windows 7 Home Premium, Avast version 6.00, free

Any ideas?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
There was Trend Micro Titanium Internet security installed, but it was removed using the guide available from their website.
did you use trend micro removal tool and reboot ?

Uninstallers for Security Software
http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/

also the topic you responded to here is more then a year old....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:24:28 PM by Pondus »

moomoo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »
Hi,

thanks for prompt response. I haven't seen how my gf uninstalled trend micro, so I restored the system from recovery partition. The tool from the website you recommended did not worked, however, very similar was included to trend micro package, which remove the software.

After reboot I was able to register Avast without problems. Unfortunately, after 2 or 3 restarts the same happened. So it doesn't look like Trend is to blame. The most annoying thing is that Chrome is locked too ;/

What else can I do? I've been using Avast for years now. I got it on another Win7 PC and runs without problems.

Sorry for reincarnation of old topic, but it looked like this is the same issue.