Author Topic: BSOD - hpt374.sys  (Read 5648 times)

alfun

BSOD - hpt374.sys
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »
I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, avast! Free Version 6.0.1289 with latest virus definitions.

My problem is that I get a Blue Screen Of Death whenever I first boot up my computer.  I have submitted my problem to Technical Support following this link http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit I also sent them my minidump file, they suggested I update my RAID drivers but there are no new drivers so I just reinstalled the drivers but the problem is still there.

My computer has two user accounts, so when I first boot up my computer it doesn't go straight to my desktop, it goes to the Welcome Screen where you select a User to login to first.  Right when it gets to the Welcome Screen after exactly 8 minutes my computer will BSOD.  The BSOD message says this:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0X000000D1
hpt374.sys

Also if I try to do any type of scan with avast! Free it will BSOD with the same message.

I have tried all the solutions I found so far on this forum but none have worked for me.  I tried using earlier versions of avast! Free, aswClear, and tried using the option in Setting - Troubleshooting - check the box that says Load avast! services only after loading other services.

I started having this BSOD problem somewhere around June 6, 2011.  I believe it has to do with the virus definitions.  After doing a clean install of Version 6.0.1289 without virus definition updates my computer will BSOD, same with Version 6.0.1203.  But with Version 6.0.1125 my computer works fine, it wasn't until I updated the virus definitions that the BSOD problem came back.  If I can somehow get all the virus definition updates released in June I can use trial and error and pinpoint exactly which virus definition update is causing my BSOD problem.

Version 6.0.1125 - released in 2011-05-11
Version 6.0.1203 - released in 2011-07-04
Version 6.0.1289 - released in 2011-09-07

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BSOD - hpt374.sys
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »
It might well be worth sending these to the ftp location if you didn't do that.

- Upload any current minidump or memory.dmp files for this avast version, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information (copy and paste the contents of the post), avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse me if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.

Though it looks like something has been done
Yes, I am using Version 6.0.1289 with the latest virus definitions.  Here is what my minidump says:
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSP.SYS
Probably caused by : hpt374.sys ( hpt374+a04d )

Thanks, this should be fixed in next VPS update.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:50:01 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alfun

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
I'm guessing you meant Windows Explorer?  I have uploaded my minidump file including a readme.txt as alfun-mem-dump.zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
Well it used to be possible using IE as well (depending on version), open the ftp link in IE and drag the file into the open open part of the page. But some find that it doesn't work, hence the alternative OR and use windows explorer only.

Hopefully that will get to the developers quicker, it won't be me that is getting it, just an avast user like yourself.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aglennon

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:30:19 PM »
Hello - Followup on BSOD for hpt366 and hpt374.

Formatted and reinstalled XP Pro w/SP3 (slipstreamed fresh this week from Microsoft) on Abit BE6 (has HPT366).  Cleaned out Temps, disk cleanup, defragged, CCleaner, scandisk.  No ZoneAlarm firewall, no WinPatrol, no Spybot, nothing but Windows.  No crashes until I installed the latest Avast.  There was nothing wrong with this computer (or the IT7) before version 6.  I guess the new Avast is not going to work properly on these older boards.  I'm still trying to rule out any IRQ issue but basically I have a new XP Pro install, haven't even been online yet, only have a Radeon 9200 and gigabit network card (newest updates) - no other add'l hardware.  New install went fine until I added Avast. 

From what I could sort through on previous threads over the past few months, there are certain older boards that just aren't going to be able to run the new Avast.  The way they've described it, there's some sort of issue that they're not going to fix.  The issue was never clearly described so I don't understand it but they said there are so few of these "unusual cases" that they weren't going to fix the new version to correct the crashes.  If I misinterpreted their explanation, I apologize. 

And call me crazy but do we see a connection to High-Point drivers here?  And they haven't updated those for a very long time.  Maybe this IS the problem but there's no one around to create new drivers, is there?  What a bummer.  Just like no more Abit - no one to create new BIOS updates either.

I'll get back with alfun and others if I can figure out how to made it work.  But if I'm just wasting hours of effort and it's simply not going to run on these two boards, I wish someone could let us know to give up.

Alicia

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
@aglennon,

Please read the topic. A solution will be ready for the next database update.

alfun

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
Yes, I am using Version 6.0.1289 with the latest virus definitions.  Here is what my minidump says:

Thanks, this should be fixed in next VPS update.
Wow, finally after 4 months I have no more BSOD on boot up.  pk was right, the next update fixed my problem.  Virus definitions version: 110930-1.  So this was all the information the avast! team needed to fix the problem?

I will try it out for a few days and let you guys know if the BSOD comes back or not.  But so far my computer looks fixed.

@aglennon - Is your computer fixed now?  What is your email?  I would like to ask you some questions about your computer.  If you're afraid of spammers getting your email, just post it up until I get it then you can edit the post and erase it.  I also have an ABIT IT7 motherboard with E8 bios.

Do regular members not have PM access?  I can't send private/personal messages.  I get this error:
An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to send personal messages.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:35:36 AM »
@aglennon - Is your computer fixed now?  What is your email?  I would like to ask you some questions about your computer.  If you're afraid of spammers getting your email, just post it up until I get it then you can edit the post and erase it.  I also have an ABIT IT7 motherboard with E8 bios.

Do regular members not have PM access?  I can't send private/personal messages.  I get this error:
An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to send personal messages.

I do not recommend posting emails, specially personal addresses. About the PMs, you need to have at least 20 posts. It's a spam barrier.

alfun

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
It's been about 2 weeks now and my computer doesn't BSOD anymore.  Thanks a lot pk and the avast! team!

aglennon

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
The Abit BE6 has been working fine now, as well.  Thank You very much Avast!