Author Topic: Web-based email called MyWay  (Read 16690 times)

midway

Re:Web-based email called MyWay
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 04:50:30 PM »
 So, if I'm just "viewing" Web-based e-mail, I don't need any kind of virus protection? Then, why does Hotmail, for instance, have McAfee (I read that it does)? I'm back to my original question: Am I safe in using the Web-based MyWay e-mail program even though it says it does not have any virus protection?

conazus

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 04:54:38 PM »
So, if I'm just "viewing" Web-based e-mail, I don't need any kind of virus protection? Then, why does Hotmail, for instance, have McAfee (I read that it does)? I'm back to my original question: Am I safe in using the Web-based MyWay e-mail program even though it says it does not have any virus protection?

Hotmail does so because your email resides on their system.  It is scanned as it arrives there.  

The messages are not on your computer when you are looking at them.
You are "viewing them"  from "their"  system.

Set your standard shiield to high and you are safe  :)

(for instance...  you get an email with an attachment and save it to your computer... avast scans that attachment)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 04:56:46 PM by connie »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 04:59:23 PM »
So, if I'm just "viewing" Web-based e-mail, I don't need any kind of virus protection?
You do need protection. You are using a browser to view webmail. Browsers are using cache. (store temporary inet files on your system)

conazus

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 05:05:31 PM »
Eddy -  a thought here.  :)    Does the program have a readme file,   or a manual with it,   that explains this?    It might be helpful as a lot of people do use webmail.

conazus

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 05:08:02 PM »
So, if I'm just "viewing" Web-based e-mail, I don't need any kind of virus protection?
You do need protection. You are using a browser to view webmail. Browsers are using cache. (store temporary inet files on your system)

and Ill add to this  you do have protection so long as you set your standard shield to  High.    

conazus

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 06:25:42 PM »
Midway

I thought I would try something,  to reassure you that you are protected with Avast  

My boyfriend uses a Hotmail account as well.   I ran the eicar test using his account with Hotmail setup in  Thunderbird  to test this for you.

Go to this site and run the eicar test: http://www.testvirus.org/

I had it run only the one that sends eicar in a zip file to his hotmail account.    (but you can run them all)

When you see the file in your email program,  and try to open the zip file the siren will go off in Avast telling you that there is a virus.   Do not be alarmed.    Eicar is simply a test file and is not a virus.      

If you are wondering why it managed to make it TO your mail program to begin with,  it actually did not…. it is as we stated before.   The messages are not downloaded to your computer when you are using webmail.    You are only viewing them, through your email client , from their server.   BUT,  should you click on an attachment or try to download a message from the server  that does have a virus in it…  Avast WILL detect it and let you know.    

I hope this makes you feel more secure  

midway

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 07:49:43 PM »
 Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Your replies to my last post do reassure me (as well as make me understand much better just what is going on with Web-based mail as opposed to POP3).  I think Connie has a good idea about making this clear to other non-experts who get scared when they don't see the blue ball revolving.

conazus

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 07:52:35 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Your replies to my last post do reassure me (as well as make me understand much better just what is going on with Web-based mail as opposed to POP3).  I think Connie has a good idea about making this clear to other non-experts who get scared when they don't see the blue ball revolving.

midway   :)   Super!!    I did leave a message for the Alwil team about just that  :)