Author Topic: "Perhaps you dion't know..." pop-up  (Read 1985 times)

nktower

"Perhaps you dion't know..." pop-up
« on: September 30, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
I am retired, no commercial use.  I get the "Perhaps you didn't know..." pop-up maybe once a week.  There is no way to tell it that I "DO" know the license terms and am abiding by them.  I am not about to try the commercial version, even if it is a free trial.

Perhaps Avast! sees that I have more than 6 machines registered - that's because I play with virtual machines running various operating systems as part of my involvement in a user group, and chair a database special interest group.  As part of the user group support I have a Windows Server 2008 installation which acts as a domain controller, SQL Server, as well as the VMware Server host for the virtual machines.  As I just saw in someone else's post perhaps it is the presence of the domain server that is triggering the alert.

Note to Avast! - Servers don't necessarily imply commercial use.

And yes, it is the Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1289.

The point is - the 'nag' box doesn't provide a mechanism that allows me to confirm that I am legitimately using the free version.  How about fixing that?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:19:01 PM by nktower »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Perhaps you dion't know..." pop-up
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
@ nktower
You shouldn't be getting it on a regular basis, but it will be periodically run over a week as has been mentioned in the link you were given.

Also see:
Hi all,
<snip>
If you are running a home network, please just close the screen and accept our apologies. We haven't found a better way how to target the business environment more precisely.

Thank you
Martin

and
I understand that you may feel offended by that screen. We will increase the quota to 5 PCs to lower the number of false prompting. The fact is that lot of users is not aware that Free AV shouldn't be used for business purposes, and this is one of the way how to inform them.Thank you for understanding.

Martin
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nktower

Re: "Perhaps you dion't know..." pop-up
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
Hi Martin - "Offended" is too strong a word.  Maybe a better word would be "Frustrated" as there was no apparent way to acknowledge the message and confirm that I am in compliance.  Meanwhile, if it pops up again, I'll just dismiss it.  Thanks for your response.