Author Topic: No Sounds  (Read 5143 times)

TheNut

No Sounds
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:13:15 PM »
I had Avast some time ago and un-installed it. Went to AVG because I felt Avast was a bit of a resource hog at the time.

Well, I noticed back then,  that after I removed Avast, the entries for Avast sounds were still in the windows Sounds options. (Only the entries, but no Avast .wav files associated with them).

Anyway, now I'm back to using Avast and was very happy.
Until I realized that I have no sounds even with a brand new install.  :'(

BTW...Yes!!! I have sounds "enabled" in avast.
They simply aren't there.

The "Program event" entries are still there (Like they've been for months...never could bet rid of them), but there are no Avast! sound entries at all to associate with them. Bummer.

In fact, way back when, I started a thread asking how to remove these un-used entries but never received a reply so I just lived with them.

This really sucks....I especially liked the one that told me my AV was updated.

Update!! I was able to navigate to the avast Folder and found some of the .wav files in the "English" Folder.
However, there are only 6 there:
Hover.wav
Press.wav
Ready.wav
Suspic.wav
virfound.wav
vpsupd.wav

I was also able to successfully associate them so I have some sounds, but there are a couple I have no Avast! sounds for...."Program end" and "program Start".

(Even associating the above sounds, some were obvious but some I wasn't sure which "event"they went with).

Still strange that they weren't available as options to begin with. That I had to hunt for them, and that a couple are still missing. (They shoud have been in the "windows media Folder with the rest of the event .wav files). No?

Any Ideas???

Can someone look and tell me what Avast sounds should be associated with "program start" and "Program End"?
Maybe even attach the missing .wave files so I'll have them? Pretty please?

They don't call me "The nut" for nothing. If I can't get this thing working perfectly, I'll have to go back to AVG even though I don't like their new version.

I'm not picking on Avast. I think it's a great program....It's just my obsessive compulsive behavior.  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:No Sounds
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:45:51 PM »
Until I realized that I have no sounds even with a brand new install.  :'(
BTW...Yes!!! I have sounds "enabled" in avast.
They simply aren't there.

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window.

The "Program event" entries are still there (Like they've been for months... never could bet rid of them), but there are no Avast! sound entries at all to associate with them.

A lot of programs clean this 'false' entries (like BeClean).

However, there are only 6 there:
Hover.wav
Press.wav
Ready.wav
Suspic.wav
virfound.wav
vpsupd.wav

I was also able to successfully associate them so I have some sounds, but there are a couple I have no Avast! sounds for...."Program end" and "program Start".

Still strange that they weren't available as options to begin with. That I had to hunt for them, and that a couple are still missing. (They shoud have been in the "windows media Folder with the rest of the event .wav files). No? Any Ideas???

Can someone look and tell me what Avast sounds should be associated with "program start" and "Program End"?
Maybe even attach the missing .wave files so I'll have them? Pretty please?

I never see that 'all' events have assotiated wav files. You can choose from the Media folder. I think avast install only the sounds under its own installation folder and not in the Windows one.

They don't call me "The nut" for nothing. If I can't get this thing working perfectly, I'll have to go back to AVG even though I don't like their new version.
I'm not picking on Avast. I think it's a great program....It's just my obsessive compulsive behavior.  ::)

Yes, you're compulsive... You can't choose an antivirus because of its sounds  ::)  :o
Better, you can't think that avast won't work  ;D
The best things in life are free.

ianb

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 04:00:21 PM »
Try uninstalling using this tool http://www.avast.com/eng/download/programs/avast_uninstall_util.html

Then try a clean install.

TheNut

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:51:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Technical - I believe you are correct. The sounds are from Avast's own installation folder and not in windows sounds.
(I happen to notice "Quicken" sounds and a few others also navigate to their own folder for sounds).

I tried the repair option....nothing is really any different, but then again I've already manually associated the sounds with the events so it's basically working.
(Just seems they should have been associated with the events to begin with)

And  ianb...thanks for the link. I don't think I'll bother with a complete un-install and new install. Everything is working.

If one of you guys would do me a big favor though and just look in your avast directory and see how many .wav files are in there It would REALLY be appreciated.  :)

As I mentioned, I have the six listed above and I'm just curious if there are usually more. (Mine were found in: Avast4/English folder).

Of course, your language folder may be different, or the .wav files may be in a different folder but just curious if you have more than six.

On an unrelated note, since I have you here, I really do notice that Avast slows things down a tiny bit. (Just like last time I had it)

I see a direct relationship  to the "On access Scanner Ball" spinning in my system tray while I'm opening a program (Control panel for example), causing it to open slower than it used to.

This isn't the fastest computer in the world (Athon 1 Gig), but I've noticed a slight slowdown with Avast.

Really sorry about the long post guys and I appreciate your help very much.  ;)

ianb

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 05:01:54 PM »
My English folder has 6 wav files, no others.

I find Avast doesn't slow me down at all.  I don't use the VRDB generation though (try setting that to "when computer is idle").

TheNut

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:48:56 PM »
Thanks for looking at your .wav files ianb!
(Guess you see why I'm "the nut' now).  ;D

I tend to let the dumbest little things bother me.  ::)

Appreciate the suggestion about the VRDB generation too...I'll play around  little more.

Again, I've only noticed a very slight slowdown.
I must say, I'm happy to be back with Avast.
AVG free 7.0 just came out and I couldn't stand it, so I'm "back home" again!
 ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 05:50:26 PM by The Nut »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 05:57:27 PM »
If one of you guys would do me a big favor though and just look in your avast directory and see how many .wav files are in there It would REALLY be appreciated.  :)

I have seven wav files:
hover, possible, press, ready, suspic, virfound, vpsupd
Maybe one of them is from the 'old' avast installations.

Of course, your language folder may be different, or the .wav files may be in a different folder but just curious if you have more than six.

In my Portuguese language folder I have other (different) seven wav files.

On an unrelated note, since I have you here, I really do notice that Avast slows things down a tiny bit. (Just like last time I had it)

Well, if you want protection you must sacrifice resources and viceversa  8)
The best things in life are free.