Author Topic: No current stable mac version?  (Read 6347 times)

bilbo--baggins

No current stable mac version?
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
I saw on the main Avast site that Antivirus for Mac is for only 10.4 and 10.5.  Doesn't even mention Snow Leopard 10.6 never mind Lion 10.7.  I just read another post about someone using the beta version (for Lion) saying if they encounter problems with the beta version they should use the stable version instead. 

As far as I can see there is no stable version for Lion.  Is there?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: No current stable mac version?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »
As far as I can see there is no stable version for Lion.  Is there?

That's right, only a (free) beta available atm.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bilbo--baggins

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
Thanks

Will there only be a free version for Mac in future, or will there be a paid version for businesses?  The reason I ask is that the free beta seems to have more limited ability to customise how long logs are retained for compared to the Windows Internet Security version.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
1. Thanks

2. Will there only be a free version for Mac in future, or will there be a paid version for businesses?  The reason I ask is that the free beta seems to have more limited ability to customise how long logs are retained for compared to the Windows Internet Security version.

1. You're welcome..!
2. Watch this topic for further developments: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78646.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bilbo--baggins

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
There doesn't seem to be much going on with the mac beta. Is it close to release? Has the issue that I reported with it blocking Windows updates in VMware fusion been resolved yet? (I cannot see any signs of updates to the beta version recently).

I need to decide whether to buy VirusBarrier x6 (I've used it's free trial without any problems, whereas I have had issues with everything else I've tried (Sophos was the worst).

Also - given that paid mac avast users don't have a stable version for lion currently - what is Avasts plans for future OS releases?  I prefer to avoid companies that don't have working stable updates available at or shortly after the release of a major OS upgrade. Apple make developer releases available for months before the final release so I can never understand software that takes months after that to be updated.  Hence another reason I'm looking at VirusBarrier as they seem to have had a stable lion version out for a while.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
The first Mac version was limited in its features (ex, most of the shields were not added). The current Beta may still have some ways to go (its till using v4 Virus Database/engine) but its otherwise quite useable and feature complete. I would expect to see the Release Canidate version fairly soon.

As for the current selling verison, It does run on 10.6 but I  have not tested it on Lion yet.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Has the issue that I reported with it blocking Windows updates in VMware fusion been resolved yet?

Should be fixed in the latest beta.