Author Topic: Msg box boo boo  (Read 3425 times)

toadbee

Msg box boo boo
« on: November 12, 2004, 11:18:09 PM »
Sorry if already reported -

If i right click on the systray icon, goto "updating" -->"iAVS update".
Then let it do it's thing... When the report pops up
I hit the "X" to close the dialog and I get a simple message box that says "do you really want to quit setup?" yes / no
Happens every time - when there is no update anyway.

The "close" button works fine... I don't even know why i hit the "X"  ;D

4.5.514, o446-2, xp pro sp2
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 11:18:44 PM by toadbee »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Msg box boo boo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 12:07:29 AM »
By using the X to close the window, rather than the Close button terminates the process, rather than the Close button, which in effect signifies an acknowledgement that the process has completed successfully.

The process involved is the update.setup and with most programs/processes when terminated ask for confirmation, giving you a second chance if you made a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 12:09:26 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

toadbee

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 12:55:57 AM »
So if I understand - its the same as a msg box that would say "close summary yes / no"  And now I see - the actual form title for the summary is "Avast setup"  ;)

Seems crazy - when I think of cancelling a setup, i think the install program will delete its temp files and clean up, like I never ran it ;D

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 01:39:24 AM »
when I think of cancelling a setup, i think the install program will delete its temp files and clean up, like I never ran it ;D

Maybe this cleaning will be done on next boot, maybe on next update...
Do you really need to cancel the update?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 01:39:40 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

toadbee

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 04:17:13 AM »
Sorry technical I'm being silly with my setup comment.
I'm referring to the summary box - I'm not cancelling the update I'm trying to close the update summary when it is all finished.

This happens also with the program update - same message.

And your response - is the same type of confusion the message can cause  ;) my point exactly - if i update the avs, it tells me it's up to date already - but when I click the "x" is asked if i really want to quit Avast setup. Confusing at best. my suggestion would be to simply close the summary form, like the "Close" button does.

I hope you all realise I'm trying to help.