Author Topic: I/net connection went *poof*  (Read 2891 times)

ranchhand

I/net connection went *poof*
« on: November 12, 2004, 07:48:51 PM »

My system:
AMD xp2700@333FSB / 512 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro
Comcast Cable broadband
D-Link Wireless Router 2.4 GHz / D-Link Wireless nic card
Firewall: Zone Alarm free issue

Decided to try Avast free AV, I heard it was good. Soon as I installed it and it loaded for the 1st time I lost access to the internet: at first the Comcast icon in my system tray showed a red X indicating disabled, and about 45 seconds later the X disappeared and the normal, Enabled icon re-appeared. My wireless D-Link nic card is working - the green indicator lamps on the card are blinking green/normal, the system tray D-Link and Comcast icons shows receiving full signal from the router, the firewall is normal and giving me no messages, but Inernet Explorer and Outlook Express keeps telling me I am offline when I try to access the internet.  All my other computers on my home network system are accessing the internet fine.

Before this I had Zone Alarm installed and my internet access was perfect for two days.

Any suggestions?

DukeNukem

Re:I/net connection went *poof*
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 07:56:29 PM »
what happens if you disable zone alarm?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 07:58:14 PM by DukeNukem »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 08:23:48 PM »
Consider using other free firewall like Agnitum Outpost, Sygate or even Kerio  8)
ZA is very susceptible in some systems and does not allow to connect  :-\
The best things in life are free.

ranchhand

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 08:49:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try disabling ZoneAlarm when I get home from work tonight.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 04:45:10 AM »
Ranchhand,

Remember that Avast is an Antivirus and will do nothing to block your internet access.  It appears from the limited information that your connection is being blocked.

Zone Alarm is a good place to look. Check the Applications/Programs menu and look at each listed process.  Make sure that your ISP connection has been authorized and also your browser.

Zone Alarm works fine if configured properly.  It does at times take "fits" and settings change.  Check them.

Good luck.