Author Topic: Avast and corrupt files  (Read 16322 times)

sjadventures

Avast and corrupt files
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »
When I do a boot scan Avast shows me that I have 3 corrupt files. Does Avast do anything with these corrupt files (fix, delete, etc) or is it just alerting me to the fact that they are there?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast and corrupt files
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
antivirus programs will only do something (clean / quarantine / delete) with infected files

so this is just a scan error message

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Also, the packaging of the file could have some error, or use a non-standard pattern...

Clean, Quarantine, or Delete?
http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm
The best things in life are free.

sjadventures

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
So your saying that a corrupt file just means Avast cannot scan it? How do you fix or delete a corrupt file or do they need to be fixed or deleted?

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
@sjadventures

Can you please provide us the exact location and filename of the detected files?

cadremis

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
A few weeks ago I made a boot Scan in Firend's Vista PC and Avast said that it could not scan several files because they were corrupted, and I fixed it doing a disk check on the computer and it took away corruped files and replaced them with good ones.

rm
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:07:32 PM by cadremis »

sjadventures

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
A few weeks ago I made a boot Scan in Firend's Vista PC and Avast said that it could not scan several files because they were corrupted, and I fixed it doing a disk check on the computer and it took away corruped files and replaced them with good ones.

rm

Can you advise on how to perform that?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »
How do you fix or delete a corrupt file or do they need to be fixed or deleted?
It depends what the file(s)are fore....
so if you answer magna86 question we may be able to tell you....

DonZ63

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »
Since when do AV scanners check for corrupted files?

What are the corrupted files?

Sounds to me like Avast is finding corrupted Avast files. In that case the solution is to repair or reinstall Avast.

sjadventures

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
Below is exactly what one of them said.

C:Documents and Settings \ Circuit City\My DocumentsDownloads\vcredist_x86.exepart|>vc_red.cab|>mfc90u.dll.30729.01microsoft_vc90_MFC_x86.SP Error 42127 {CAB Archive is corrupted}

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
Since when do AV scanners check for corrupted files?
What are the corrupted files?
Sounds to me like Avast is finding corrupted Avast files. In that case the solution is to repair or reinstall Avast.

They don't specifically scan for corrupt files, but the try to unpack archive files. If they are unable to unpack them they could well be corrupt and that is what is being reported, a file cant be scanned and the reason corrupt archive, etc.

You can't speculate as to what these files are when the OP hasn't reported what these files are, file name and location. So we have to wait his answer to that question.

Now that he has just answered that they aren't avast files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »
Below is exactly what one of them said.

C:Documents and Settings \ Circuit City\My DocumentsDownloads\vcredist_x86.exepart|>vc_red.cab|>mfc90u.dll.30729.01microsoft_vc90_MFC_x86.SP Error 42127 {CAB Archive is corrupted}

Well the important part (excuse the pun) is vcredist_x86.exepart, and that appears to be a failed download as part is normally tacked on to the partial download before it has completed the download.

Since the file is incomplete and avast tries to extract the contents, part of the file is missing (corrupt) and that is why (the reason) the error is reported on a file that couldn't be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sjadventures

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »
Are the 3 corrupt files something I need to correct or delete and if so how? The other 2 were very similiar to the one I posted but did have a little variation but the front part of each corrupt file was the same. All of them included the part

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
As DavidR said, these are not filesystem corrupted files (so, nothing to do with chkdsk).

These are part of a CABinet file. Just as zipped files, CABinet files are archive files that can contain folders and other files. And just as zipped files, you could have several files that are acting like a chain:

part001.zip
part002.zip
part003.zip

or, similarly,
part001.cab
part002.cab
part003.cab

or
part.cab
part.001
part.002

The point is, that they are a chain. Each part is not complete. Only opening the complete set, you would obtain the real complete content (imagine 3 CDs of 680MB each part, and you copy all 3 archive parts to your computer to rebuild the original complete archive contents).

In your case, either one of the parts is corrupted (and it simply would need to mistakenly change, say, a "zero" for a "one", and all the complete set could be unreadable); or Avast is not able to understand this particular set of archives.

In any case, this does NOT necessarily mean that the archive (or a part of it) is infected. It may, or may not be. All that Avast is reporting is that, as far as Avast understands, the set of files that conform the complete set of archives can't be opened and then scanned by Avast.

One explanation could be that one part of the set is not located in the expected folder, hence Avast doesn't know how to open it. Whichever the reason, is not telling you "anything" definitive about that archive.

sjadventures

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
I understand the explanation and I am very appreciative of all the help but still do not know if I need to deal with the 3 corrupt files or ignore them.