Author Topic: Comodo FFW shows 48 Avast! connections in&out at 66B swamped my bandwidth!  (Read 5871 times)

Saulius

I lose effective internet connections while watching online videos that make them stick at pause for bufferring sometimes and they then just hang....

This happens randomly at all different times into the videos, which is especially very annoying while I'm trying to watch a long or feature length doco. >:(

This may also happen at other times too.

I used to get the yellow exclamation mark triangle and then the red X appearing on the Network icon in the Windows taskbar which indicated that my connection was actually lost because of some part of Avast! was triggerring a problem in how Windows randomly checks (and changes) the type of Network connection, but AFAIK I have solved that problem. (Using fix #1 IIRC.) However this may relate or be something else.

So recently while I watched an online video it just hung up paused at bufferring halfway in and wouldn't resume. I actually had Comodo FFW Active Connections window open to see things happening on my connection. I was terminating any unusual connections that occasionally showed up at the time. What I saw this time however were 48 Avast! services contentions all two way to the same destination, that is in and out at 66 B with about every second in showing {2.1KB/s} to {7.6KB/s} but mostly {2.6 - 4.6 - 5.9KB/s} which may indicate that Avast! services have swamped my Windows 7 desktop cable connection.

I also looked in my Network & Service Center and saw that the connection was fine. So what I did was disable my connection, then after 2s I re-enabled my connection. Comodo FFW now showed Avast! services having come back, but with only 14 connections. I checked if Avast! needed to update definitions or the program, but both were up to date. I terminated all 14 of them and others and then re-started the video which now played again.

Is this unusual bandwidth swamping behaviour by Avast! normal?

Could this have been part of the trigger for the previous issued I had with the randomly occurring yellow triangle appearing on the Network icon and loss of connection with a changed type of network from private homegroup to unidentified public?

Should I really see 48 different Avast! services connections?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:52:06 AM by Saulius »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
By default avast! 6.0.1289 intercepts all HTTP connections so the firewall is probably indicating this for however many HTTP connections happen to be active at the time.

If you're sure it's safe, in the Web Shield Expert settings, try unchecking 'Enable Web Scanning' and/or checking 'Scan traffic from well known browser processes only' to see if it makes any difference.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Saulius

What are you talking about?

I only had one internet window open at the time, so with 4 or 5 svchost or other active connections open at the time, the main thing that seemed to clog up my connection by swamping my bandwidth was Avast! services with 48 individual connections bi-directional, in & out at 66 B.

Why would I want to permanently turn off the Web Shield, what because you think the Avast! needs to run up to 48 active connection to check on just 5 or 6 others?

dansorin

...checking 'Scan traffic from well known browser processes only' .
try this, as suggested. don't disable web shield.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
As all system traffic is directed through avast and this is why it looks like avast has all these connections but you'll find that many of them will be other processes on your computer such as system traffic or any other process that connects to the internet, as Vladimyr mentioned you can set avast to scan traffic from well known browser processes only which will reduce the amount of connections you have but there will still be alot there as like i said all traffic is directed through avast.

ady4um

I checked if Avast! needed to update definitions or the program, but both were up to date.

Besides the "well known browsers only" setting, you should know that Avast checks the availability of database updates (every 4 hours is the default, but can be changed).

This means that, even when you are up-to-date, Avast may try to connect anyway. In some of those connections, Avast may find updates to download and apply, but not in every check (if you are permanently connected, updates are actually found in around 1 of every 3 checks).

If you are "permanently" connected, you could also reduce the number of connections by:

Avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "update parameters" -> "my computer is permanently connected to the internet".

Saulius

...checking 'Scan traffic from well known browser processes only' .
try this, as suggested. don't disable web shield.

Yes, I have put a tick in the box to 'Scan traffic from well known browsers only' that is solution #1, and you're quite right, as this is a random thing that I can quickly work around why should I disable the Web Shield from Avast!?

As I wrote, this wasn't happenning during Avast! checking for an update AFAIK, this occurs as random times during the normal PC usage. Besides if this did regularly happen at times that Avast! seeks and actually founds updates I would have these massive number of connections swamping my internet causing video pauses every time Avast! successfully did that and I would have noticed such a correlation.

I also have a permanent connection and have checked that off in Avast! too, except for when Avast! causes me to disable it temporarily to clear problems of this sort or the earlier.

If Avast! is swamping my bandwidth so much at times for what ever reason that it pauses online video documentaries from popular sites and public broadcasting sites then there is something wrong. It may be checking for updates, cross checking things, monitoring connections are has possibly got a bug or being exploited by an infection on my system. Whatever, these videos should not be hanging because of Avast! Free AV spamming overflow that takes up all my bandwidth.

Is seeing 48 Avast! connections normal with Comodo?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Is seeing 48 Avast! connections normal with Comodo?

That depends on your settings, programs running and what you do at the moment. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

It also depends on reading closely the other posts in the topic.

dansorin

...Is seeing 48 Avast! connections normal with Comodo?
for example, in my case:
- 1 tab opened in Chrome (this forum): 6 connections for avastsvc.exe
- 2 tabs opened in Chrome: 23 connections for avastsvc.exe

so, I guess it's normal what you experience.

Saulius

Re: Comodo FFW shows 48 Avast! connections in&out at 66B swamped my bandwidth!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 01:02:56 AM »
The time it happenned last that made me start this thread I only had one Web Browser Window with one Tab open watching a small scale video after getting to it in about three web pages, so not much memory used or internet history & temp files created since I frequently use Ccleaner.

Well so it appears that seeing 48 Avast! services connections in Comodo FFW may be a normal enough occurrence then, still I hope that it is not knocking out my online videos viewing.

I have been watching this over the last few days and while normally Avast! svc in Comodo FFW shows 6,9 to 14/15 individual connections running at a time, I have also seen times where it is hitting over 40, 50 and 60 without totally swamping my cabled broadband.

I'll keep an eye on this to try and catch what flow of Avast! services happen the next time I have this hanging up at a buffering pause while watching an online video.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:05:09 AM by Saulius »

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 02:43:36 AM »
I can only speak from personal experience, but 48 connections is nothing.. i often see 5 or 6 times that many with no skipping/lag of streaming media. you can try this:

in comodo defense+ settings, change the rules for avastsvc , and whatever other avast modules you have rules for to the comodo predefined policy called "installer or updater" which will effectively stop comodo from trying to put avast processes "in check" at all. you can also try in the firewall settings changing avast to the predefined policy "trusted application".
these recommendations can be found on the comodo forum.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
What is being forgotten in all of this is that the HTTP content is being redirected 'through' the Web Shield (avastSvc.exe) localhost proxy.

So you are only seeing as associated with avastSvc.exe not initiated by avastSvc.exe as your browser does the initiation and the web shield redirects the traffic through its proxy. So your browser wouldn't be showing these connections as it would if the web shield wasn't redirecting the HTTP traffic.

So it should balance out either it will be shown against your browser or the web shield (avastSvc.exe). Also the avastSvc.exe controls all shields, so if you happen to collect your email that to would initiate activity in the avastSvc.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security