Author Topic: "...does not implement the service" Avast Pro 6, W2K SP4  (Read 10468 times)

stevesobol

"...does not implement the service" Avast Pro 6, W2K SP4
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
I've successfully installed avast! Pro 6 on two computers running Windows 2000 SP4. If I restart either of the computers, avast! does not start properly (the system tray icon has the red "X" on top of it)

The Windows event log says:

"The avast! Antivirus service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service."

This is not happening on any other computer on which I've installed avast, but the other computers run WinXP, Vista or 7.

Please help - version 6, according to the avast! website, is compatible with W2K SP4.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "...does not implement the service" Avast Pro 6, W2K SP4
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
I don't know if this is the issue:
Please make sure you have the Update Rollup 1 installed (it's required for avast! 5/6):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B54730CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en

Do you have this rollup1 update installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stevesobol

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
I'm not sure! :) I'll make sure the affected computers have Rollup 1 installed. If not, I'll install it. Either way I will post my results here

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
OK, let us know how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stevesobol

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:21:14 AM »
I installed the rollup on one of the W2K computers. Rebooted. No love. Downloaded a fresh copy of avast! 6, uninstalled the old copy, rebooted, installed the copy I'd just downloaded, no love. I did see that the computer had one Windows update that needed to be downloaded (a security hotfix) - so I downloaded and installed it, and rebooted. Same problem.  ???

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:44:36 AM »
I'll retest it tomorrow and let you know...

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
It's working well on my Win2k SP4... I installed 6.0.1289 AIS (same as Free but with more components).

Please follow these steps to find out what's wrong with your OS:
1) Download & unpack http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/depends.zip (run depends.exe)
2) Open several avast DLL/EXE files (\Program Files\AVAST Software\avast folder): aavm4h.dll/aswData.dll/ashBase.dll/avastsvc.exe/... and if you get red warning on the right pane, please send me a screenshot or text output (File/Save As/Text with Import Exports).

The screenshot of ideal state (taken from my Win2k SP4) is attached.

stevesobol

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »
Awesome, thanks! I'll do it soon. It may be a few days. The client and I do not consider this an emergency, as he can simply double-click on the system tray icon, and then he can click "FIX IT" and all of the services start. The problem is simply that they are not starting at boot time.

stevesobol

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »
and, apologies for the off-topic post, but can someone modify my forum account so I can change my profile info... the only thing I can do right now is change my email address and password. Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
You need 20 posts to be able to change your profile and set several other things in your profile.

This is due to spammers! :'(

stevesobol

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
avastsvc.exe: the very first dependency, APPHELP.DLL, is missing.

"Error opening file. The system can not find the file specified. (2)"

Same problem with aavm4h.dll and several other DLL files. In each case, APPHELP.DLL is the only library that is missing.

But check this out:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html

Q: Dependency Walker says I'm missing APPHELP.DLL. Where can I get it from?

A: APPHELP.DLL is used by Windows XP's application compatibility feature. It is a Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/+ only DLL. If you see this warning, you most likely installed Internet Explorer 6.0 on your pre- Windows XP computer (Windows 95/98/ME/2000). Internet Explorer 6.0 installs a new SHWAPI.DLL that has a delay-load dependency on APPHELP.DLL. This is normal as SHWAPI.DLL does not expect to find APPHELP.DLL on versions of Windows prior to Windows XP. This warning can be ignored. You do not need (or want) APPHELP.DLL on Windows 95/98/ME/2000.

---------------

I still have to check the other Win2k computer, but I know this one is definitely running IE 6.

So: shot in the dark here, but is it possible that the avast! installer detected the presence of IE 6, and as a result, automatically assumed that APPHELP.DLL existed, and installed the wrong binaries?

I have another Win2k computer that is running avast! with no issues - but I don't have access to it at the moment, and can't check which version of IE it is running.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:13:37 AM »
Don't know how exactly you are checking the dependencies, but none of avast! modules depends on APPHELP.DLL.

stevesobol

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:58 AM »
I downloaded the ZIP file mentioned earlier in this discussion, extracted and ran depends.exe. Once the program was running, I opened up avastsvc.exe and looked at the list of dependencies. APPHELP.DLL was the first dependency listed, and it was the only one that had a problem. Then I looked at several DLL's and saw the same thing.

stevesobol

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:39 AM »
What's really weird is that there is a third computer, that I finally was able to check late this afternoon, also running W2K SP4 and IE6, and avast! runs just fine on that computer.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
Can you post a screenshot of the tool showing the APPHELP.DLL dependency?