Author Topic: Mail scanner broken with today's update?  (Read 48012 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Mail scanner broken with today's update?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2004, 12:15:26 PM »
Spock wrote:
Version 4.5 pro,  build 4.5.523 prevent sending E-mail with attachment with MS outlook express. Everything work O.K. with MS Outlook. If i terminate INTERNET MAIL in On Access protection controll then I can send e-mail with attachment normaly. Also
I have to notice, that this is happend on all computers not only on my.

If you haven't noticed already, there is program update (4.5.531, and it solves many issues). Try that and see what happens. Just invoke normal program update in avast!

avast! is NOT preventing sending messages in Outlook Express on ALL computres. Actually, that's completely untrue. You are just one of many (unfortunately) unlucky users that has problem with this issue. Outlook Express and MS Outlook 2003 works great in here. Never had any single problem with avast! in my whole life. Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates). Check every possible seetings. Check how everything in set in avast! On-Access Scanner / Internet Mail Provider, check how your e-mail accounts are defined in Outlook Express. Post back your settings in here, that includes original smtp and pop3 server names, and the form of your loging name and password (don't have to type exactly your loging name, just post back what's the form of it - it should be just your loging name that you've got from your mail provider, without any of those # signs like it was the case in avast! 4.1 mail handler).

It's always desireable to post your detailed configurations, and programs installed on your system...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 01:12:26 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Spock

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2004, 04:11:22 PM »
Thank you for anwser. I instaled avast on many computers of my friends and evereyone of them reprot the same problem with sending e-mail with attachment.
I have all my pop  and smtp server properly set, but problem stays.
Now i will tray to update version and will report if anything change.

Spock

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
i have ivoke program update as you recomend. This is what i get.

Information about current update:
Total time: 3 s

- Program: Already up to date
  (current version 4.5.523)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 0448-0)

Server: download10.avast.com (207.44.182.35)
Downloaded files: 3 (0.03 KB)

There is no 4.5.531 version availabile.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2004, 04:21:50 PM »
Well unfortunately, that's not true... see here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8786;start=75#msg75705

How did I get mine ? Igor announced it in one of those threads...  ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2004, 04:24:18 PM »
The new build (531) is still delivered as beta - i.e. to use it, it's necessary to replace the servers.def file (or actually, run the executable announced by Vlk in the beta thread - which does it for you). Build 523 is "official" - i.e. you won't get from 523 to 531 by an ordinary update.

Spock

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2004, 04:25:29 PM »
Yes, beta versions does not install automaticly.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2004, 04:28:32 PM »
The new build (531) is still delivered as beta - i.e. to use it, it's necessary to replace the servers.def file (or actually, run the executable announced by Vlk in the beta thread - which does it for you). Build 523 is "official" - i.e. you won't get from 523 to 531 by an ordinary update.

Yes that's true, but I assumed that he already was using beta, since he had so many problems. It's natural to try even with BETA releases when your program it's not working as you would like it to work...  ;)

Spock, find some info on how to update to 4.5.529 first (it's much easier, just download little exe file and start it from your computer... Vlk explained everything)

Cheers !

EDIT: See here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9007
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:30:20 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Spock

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2004, 04:35:27 PM »
Alredy instaled Beta now and everything works O.K.

Thanks !

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2004, 04:42:27 PM »
Now, your avatar makes sence  ;D He looks so happy !

OK, I told you you'll be happy again... and...

DON'T FORGET TO HELP YOUR FRIENDS YOU INSTALLED AVAST! ON THEIR SYSTEMS, THAT ARE HAVING THOSE PROBLEMS... do the same thing on their systems as well...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:43:29 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Spock

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2004, 04:44:49 PM »
Normaly!

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2004, 05:26:58 PM »
PS.  An earlier post suggests adding "IgnoreLocalhost=0" to the [MailScanner] section of my avast4.ini file, but there is no [MailScanner] section in my avast4.ini file

Well, create it in your avast4.ini file. Open it with your text editor and add these lines at the bottom:

[MailScanner]
IgnoreLocalhost=0

<snip>

Adding that entry to the ini file did fix the problem: Avast is now scanning incoming e-mails and is adding the information to the headers.

I did not automatically add that entry for a couple of reasons:

1. I am new to this forum and unfamiliar with the regular folk -- the suggestion might not have been a recommended fix.

2. It seemed odd that Avast -- normally a plug and play program -- needed hand-editing of an ini file.

Do I have to repeat that you have to set your smtp and pop3 server names in your e-mail client just like avast! doesn't exist ? That includes pop3 and smtp server names, and your logging name and password (originals for each account you have). There are many threads covering this issue, and I'm kinda little tired typing this million times over and over again. I'm not trying to sound harsh on anyone, but it's very hard to follow all those posts and requests, especially considering that we already answered so many questions regarding same issue in some other threads.

Yes, I expect it is frustrating. I have mentioned in this thread (and in another that I started and will let die so that this issue remains in one thread) that I re-set Thunderbird as if Avast was not in the system as a work-around -- before I visitied this help forum.

Please, use wonderful and very causy SEARCH feature in these forums to get more info (button is up there). Just type the key word and hit the search button.

This may be a new topic: Avast seems more aggressive now. I am receiving many, many "Suspicious Whitespace Sequence" warnings on good e-mails that I receive from a listserv I am subscribed to. This is new behavior. The older Avast had some setting to turn this warning off and just let the mail through . . . now, with Internet and Outlook Providers turned off (Win2k) I don't see how to tell Avast to ignore this pattern. What would be the Search keyword for this question?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »
1. I am new to this forum and unfamiliar with the regular folk -- the suggestion might not have been a recommended fix.

2800 and something posts in these forums should point that I'm not kidding and for sure I'm not gonna offer some solution that is not already double checked...

Well, this particular fix that just helped you, is recommended by Alwil guys. If you properly use Search feature, you'll find few threads covering it...

This may be a new topic: Avast seems more aggressive now. I am receiving many, many "Suspicious Whitespace Sequence" warnings on good e-mails that I receive from a listserv I am subscribed to. This is new behavior. The older Avast had some setting to turn this warning off and just let the mail through . . . now, with Internet and Outlook Providers turned off (Win2k) I don't see how to tell Avast to ignore this pattern. What would be the Search keyword for this question?

You have to take into consideration that this program update (latest 4.5.531) is still in Beta phase. There are many threads that mentioned this before. Untill current avast! program update becomes regular program update, it will be this way. Alwil guys are still doing some changes and updates, so this is necessary untill everything is done...

I pointed you and everyone else to SEARCH feature for well knowing issues that has been brough to these threads many many times in the past. Regarding this new issue, you'll have to wait for respond from someone that is more familiar with it. We are like family in here... no one knows everything, but everyone knows something. When you have all those people in the same room (actualy, in these forums), you've got great help. Please be patient and someone will come up with answer very soon...

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 05:43:17 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2004, 07:30:08 PM »

2800 and something posts in these forums should point that I'm not kidding and for sure I'm not gonna offer some solution that is not already double checked...

Well, this particular fix that just helped you, is recommended by Alwil guys. If you properly use Search feature, you'll find few threads covering it...

Point taken. My apologies . . . this forum seems to be a lot more active than many other app forums that I've used. I'll shut up now, use the searches, and see how things turn out!

Oh -- it may have been that addition to the ini file, but now the Internet Mail provider is up and running. So things are working well.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2004, 07:41:32 PM »
Well my friend, no need to appologize. You are just one of many users that were seeking for help. That's normal... our nerves are very thin sometimes, but if we manage somehow to stay calm  ;D , then everything should be OK, and fixed at the end.

Stick around and I'm sure you'll be even more pleasantly surprised with these forums and it's memebers. This is one great family with great atmosphere in here. Make it even better with your presence.

I'm sure, you'll be able to help to someone else one day, and that way contribute to these forums in a best possible way.

I'm really glad you solved your problem, but also, I'm 100% sure it will be solved automaticaly, without manual "touching" of avast4.ini file in next program build.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 07:42:42 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Wearb

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2004, 10:29:37 PM »
Thank you for anwser. I instaled avast on many computers of my friends and evereyone of them reprot the same problem with sending e-mail with attachment.
I have all my pop  and smtp server properly set, but problem stays.
Now i will tray to update version and will report if anything change.

I am having the same problem. I updated to the Beta 4.5-531 and I still cannot send attachments using Outlook express. If I disable Avast Internet Mail then I can send attachments. I have tried removing all the ticks from the Avast email scanner check boxes, but that didn't work either.
Anyone any got other suggestions?