Author Topic: Web shield problem - new update  (Read 6919 times)

conrad87

Web shield problem - new update
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »
Last week I updated Avast to the latest program version on all 4 of my computers.  These computers are a part of a Windows Domain, 3 of them are less then 2 months old running Win 7 Pro, one of them is Vista.

After the update, the 3 Windows 7 machines couldn't bring up any web pages.  After disabling the web shield, browsing through IE started working again. Coincidentally, another problem arose where the 3 Windows 7 machines are no longer accepting any incoming requests.

I performed a system restore to prior the update and completely uninstalled Avast, but the problem was still there.  Unusual.

This may be a separate problem, however the web shield issue is still present.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web shield problem - new update
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
System restores could mess avast installation.
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Which is your firewall? Any other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »
With your computers being on a Windows Domain if you are using a 3rd party Firewall you could have an issue regarding the Avast webshield

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=295&nav=0,66

WebShield HTTP proxy

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=293&nav=0,66

conrad87

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:14:01 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I have performed an uninstallation using the Avast uninstall utility and it has resolved all of my problems.

I have not yet reinstalled Avast, however I will be this week and I will post results.

willembh

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:34 AM »
Hey people I have problems with my avast web shield. I can't open any web pages with web shield enable. I tried the instructions above (made by "Tech") but my problem continues. Even doing it on safe mode nothing changes. My system is win XP SP2, my afast is the lastest version (6.0.1289 - FREE and even if I desables the firewall the problem persists and I don't use any other security program. Please help me if you can.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:05 AM »
Hey people I have problems with my avast web shield. I can't open any web pages with web shield enable. I tried the instructions above (made by "Tech") but my problem continues. Even doing it on safe mode nothing changes. My system is win XP SP2, my afast is the lastest version (6.0.1289 - FREE and even if I desables the firewall the problem persists and I don't use any other security program. Please help me if you can.
Which was your antivirus before avast? Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:51:23 AM »
@willembh,

Try:

Avast main GUI -> web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only". Save and reboot.

willembh

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
well I use avast in my computer since I've formated it. I wasn't using any antivirus before it. I've used other antiviruses like avira and avg but it was a long time ago and there are no any files in my system because I formated my computer for installing avast. I use standard windows firewall. However I tried many times to disabled it for try to use avast web shield but it was unsicessfull. The web shield prevents to load any web page with or without the firewall.

willembh

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:37:36 PM »
@willembh,

Try:

Avast main GUI -> web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only". Save and reboot.

well, I've just done it but the problems persists.

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Avast's Web Shield, if set to scan everything, is not fully compatible with the outgoing protection of the built in Windows Firewall. It actually bypasses it in many instances. If you enable the outgoing in the Firewall, be sure to then set the Web Shield to scan only well known browser processes.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
If you insist on using XP SP2 then you will have problems.

Please read:
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
If you insist on using XP SP2 then you will have problems.
While your statement may be valid, it doesn't guarantee to solve the OPs problem. In addition, Avast should work with XP SP2 too, at least according to the official requirements for Avast 6.0.1289.

@Conrad87,

"Something else" is happening in that system, since the described behaviour is not the expected one.

Under Windows Safe Mode, you should try to run all appropriate removal tools for *any* security tool you ever HAD (since running "Add/Remove Programs" usually still leaves some conflicting remnants, and security tools are "sensitive" to other past or present "competitors" :) ).

Some (but not all) special removal tools are located at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/.

For the removal tool for Avast (again, under Windows Safe Mode, NOT under normal mode), select the correct folder and version. If you used to have, at any point, Avast 5.x (for example), run the removal tool TWICE. The first for Avast 6, then reboot again into Safe Mode (please do NOT skip this reboot in between), and select Avast 5 this time to run it again.

Then download ANEW the latest stable version of Avast from the official site and reinstall (Run as Administrator).

There might still be some more steps to perform after the clean installation, but for that let's wait for your feedback first.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:06 AM »
Please go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables button and in the "System variables" section, check the content of the TEMP variable.

Does the path exist? And is there some free space on that drive?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.