Author Topic: Automatic Update Working?  (Read 8587 times)

TheNut

Automatic Update Working?
« on: November 13, 2004, 01:58:50 PM »
Hi folks...Is there a problem with automatic updates?

I'm sure I have all the correct settings:

Under "Program Settings/Basic Updates", I have both VDB and Program Updates set to "Automatic".

Under "Details", I have all three iAVS options enabled and running mode under "Normal" rather than "silent".

I also have an "always on broadband connection" that is checked.
It is my understanding that the program will check automatically but when I booted up the computer this morning nothing happened.

When I immediataly updated manually, there were indeed updates for both the VDB and the Program itself. (Both were successful and fast, so I know my connection settings are fine).

At the risk of being a real pest, one more problem....I have sounds enabled and have tested the .wav that says: "Virus database has been updated".

I didn't hear this when I updated it. I did notice however that I did not have the "Show Icon in taskbar tray" option checked at the time of the update.
Should I have heard the voice anyway?
And do you hear the .wav even if you update manually? (Because if so, I haven't heard it yet).

If you only hear it when the system tray icon is turned on, that would explain it.
If I should hear it regardless of that and even during a manual update, then I have a problem with my "sounds" in Avast.

I know it sounds really lame, but I enjoy hearing that "Virus database has been updated" voice immensely.  :D
(I remember it from the last Time I used Avast...pretty cool)

Any comments, suggestions, or observations most welcome.
Thanks!

testy

Re:Automatic Update Working?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 04:07:14 PM »
After reading your post I realized I haven't had any notices to update.  I checked manually and it had updates for virus and program.  I rechecked my setting and they are set correctly.

TheNut

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 04:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply testy

I take it then that Automatic Updates aren't working at the moment.

Could you tell me if you hear the "Virus database has been Updated" .wav sound when you update manually???

Or do you only hear that when it Auto updates?

(Then again, maybe you have sounds turned off and prefer not to hear it at all).  :)

If someone See's this post before testy, could you enlighten me about the sound and if and when you hear it?
Thanks!

Neron

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 05:11:54 PM »
You will hear that sound only when the program is updated  automatic! ;)About the automatic updates:I too haven't get any notice about there are updates.I updated manually.So the problem is not in my avast i hope!

TheNut

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 05:19:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Neron!

No, it's not just you. At least I don't think so.
That makes three of us in this thread that weren't notified and had to update manually.

Hopefully, the Top brass will see this and comment.  ;D

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 05:24:49 PM »
The program update notification interval is set to 7 days (contrary to VPS update notification which is set to 4 hours). It seems you are not patient enough to see the notification  ;D ;D ;D

(to explain: the notification is randomly displayed during seven days from the release in order to spread the updates during time and avoid the DDoS on the updates servers)

Pavel

TheNut

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 05:29:23 PM »
Thank you Pavel !
That explains a lot!

It seems you are not patient enough to see the notification  

You hit it right on the head! I'm an update maniac with all my programs....sometimes checking several times a day.
Just a habit i can't seem to break!  :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 05:30:50 PM »
Auto Updates also stopped working for me in version 4.1, I believe this happened about the time of the 4.1.501 update.

Having only just updated to the final release of 4.5 I will monitor to see if this has resolved the failure to auto update (despite no settings changes in avast and manual update working).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 07:30:32 PM »
Are you guys talking about the program update or VPS update as well? What Pavel said only applies to program updates - VPS updates should be delivered automatically as they used to be.

Please try to remember if your VPS file was really outdated when you manually checked for updates today.

Thx.
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Neron

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 07:47:29 PM »
Well my virus database was up to date but i didn't receive a message  above the toolbar as ussualy is this normal becouse i reboot the computer to check if avast will tell me about the new version but nothing happened.

Neron

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »
My version is 4.5.517 and virus database is 0446-2

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 08:48:43 PM »
iVAS auto update was not working after 4.1.501 program update (unable to confirm exact date) or there abouts.

Since 4.1.501 there were no auto program updates to version 4.1.501, but I don't believe there were any before I manually updated to 4.5.518 this morning.

I will however, monitor auto updates over the next week and see if this has been resolved with 4.5.518
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Neron

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 08:52:35 AM »
Xey way is my version 4.5.517?I updated it yesterday and the new version is4.5.518?Shud i update again or waht? ??? Somebody help me.

watchthisspace

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 09:05:15 AM »
Try doing another manual program update, if that still doesnt work, try restarting the computer and trying again

Neron

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 09:58:30 AM »
But is there any version like this or it's an error.