Author Topic: BSOD After Update today  (Read 16052 times)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re:BSOD After Update today
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 09:40:28 PM »
If you dont have any aswTdi.sys (avast v4.5) so Network Shield wasn't probably installed and then i dont know what were caused of BSODs. Anyway, send me some latest minidumps on my email: kurtin@asw.cz. Thanks

trejder

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 10:02:55 PM »
So, if we all get to conlussion that aswTdi.sys file (which came with today's update) caused the problem, the only question that left is, when you are about to release *new* update that comes with fixed aswTdi.sys file?

Or maybe we should install / update to newest version and try to immediatelly patch the file with the one available under link posted some posts ago?

I'm currently uninstalled avast! and the problem gone. Wating until fixed updated or install will be available.

Tom

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 10:15:25 PM »
Trejder I recommend trying to use the patched driver. After all, nimrod confirmed that it solved the problem for him (at least so far).

Would be interesting to know if it solves the problem in your case as well.

Make sure to reboot the machine after replacing the driver. AND one more thing - the avast auto-updater will probably try to replace the patched driver with the original (official) version so don't reboot after replacing the driver and rebooting (I hope you understand what I mean).

In other words:
1. install avast, don't reboot
2. replace the aswTdi.sys file
3. reboot (this will complete the installation process)
4. after the machine starts, try not to reboot (even if avast asks you to do so).

Thanks
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

trejder

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 10:30:19 PM »
Hi!

Of course I understand! As fast as I will be able to do, what you wrote, I'm going to write you what are the effects on my machine.

Would it be more safetly to completely turn-off automatic update _before_ reboot that finalizes installation (if I will be able to run avast! before reboot) or right after it?

Tom

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 10:33:01 PM »
I'm afraid that wouldn't help. The "auto-correct" feature is somewhat independent of the update settings. It is a security feature designed to prevent viruses from altering the program binaries (which once altered, can have pretty much undefined effects...).

Thanks,
Vlk

trejder

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 10:43:19 PM »
OK - BUT... any NEXT reboot (after first that does finalization of installation) will revert to *original* aswTdi.sys file, which is bad.

So we are only doing a test-drive to se if also on my computer, with patched aswTdi.sys all works fine - i.e. if it not hangs, yes?

After all I will have to uninstall again avast! and keep the system clean of it until you release new update with _corrected_ aswTdi.sys. Because after next reboot (no matter if I do it in next half hour or two days) will start avast! with *original*aswTdi.sys and the system once again begin to hang-up with BSOD after a few minutes from rebooting.

Am I correct?
Tom

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 10:45:43 PM »
So we are only doing a test-drive to se if also on my computer, with patched aswTdi.sys all works fine - i.e. if it not hangs, yes?

Exactly.

After all I will have to uninstall again avast! and keep the system clean of it until you release new update with _corrected_ aswTdi.sys. Because after next reboot (no matter if I do it in next half hour or two days) will start avast! with *original*aswTdi.sys and the system once again begin to hang-up with BSOD after a few minutes from rebooting.

That's right. But if the driver proves to work we'll issue the update soon (before the end of weekend).

Thanks for your help
Vlk

trejder

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 11:36:16 PM »
Done!

Works now for 35 minutes after reboot done for finalizing instalation. Before reboot I've patched aswTdi.sys with a new file. No BSOD, no change, no strange behavior - all seems to be OK.

Or maybe not all OK. You said that it will try to revert this file to original and ask to reboot, which I should not do. Nothing happent like that. I'm monitoring C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers on my XP HE SP2 for all 35 minutes and the file was not change - so the reboot was not called to be necessary. Strange. I did NOT change anything in avast! It runs like it was installed.

The file was not reverted so it is safe (in my opinion) to reboot / turn off computer and using this new (4.5) _patched_ version as it should not crash the system after next run. If it does, I will report you.

Is there anything else you want me to do?

Regards!
Tom

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 11:40:11 PM »
The fixed aswTdi.sys has 28,672 bytes, problematic one has 32,048 bytes ;) - for quick checking.

Is there anything else you want me to do?
No, thanks - if there is any problem regarding to aswTdi/BSOD, please let us know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 11:41:08 PM by pk »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 11:41:25 PM »
Glad to hear that!
Well I think I don't need anything else - maybe just make sure to keep us updated if anything changes.

Thanks again,
Vlk

trejder

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 11:47:30 PM »
pk!: You wrote that first time you published the _patched_ file, it was still bad and we have to download it again. Well I've downloaded it twice - before and after your message, and BOTH times it was the same file - 28 672 bytes long. After installing new avast! 4.5 the file was 32k long but after patching it, it still stays at 28,672. avast! does not tried to revert it to original 32k up after now.

Vlk: I'm going to sleep now. My computer is going to sleep too. But avast! never asleeps! :) :) :) When I find anything else tommorow or next day I will report this to this forum.

Thanks for all help and good look. Have a peaceful night! Regards!
Tom

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 12:11:00 AM »
pk!: You wrote that first time you published the _patched_ file, it was still bad and we have to download it again. Well I've downloaded it twice - before and after your message, and BOTH times it was the same file - 28 672 bytes long. After installing new avast! 4.5 the file was 32k long but after patching it, it still stays at 28,672. avast! does not tried to revert it to original 32k up after now.

There was only one fixed version we published. Unfortunately, nimrod666's new aswTdi was replaced from backup with the problematic file - that's why he wrote that nothing changed in his 2nd post. Good night ;).

dlr

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2004, 02:07:23 AM »
Petr,
I allowed 4.1 to re-update to 4.5. Prior to allowing reboot, I renamed the 32K aswTdi.sys file and copied in the 28K aswTdi.sys.

Rebooted and haven't had any problems yet (been about 45 minutes). Ran a full scan of C: including archives. Still no problems.

Thanks for all the help.   :D

trejder

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2004, 02:17:34 PM »
Hi, again!

Well I think I don't need anything else - maybe just make sure to keep us updated if anything changes.

Ran computer today for around 3 hours. There were several reboots and working on both accounts I have on my XP. There were no problems. avast! did not update aswTdi.sys at any time up until now and did not ask for rebooting. There was no BSOD any more as up to now.

P.S.: I've installed an old program today that also installed Microsoft Virtual Machine with it. Which SP2 automaticly updated from Windows Update. But it cause no change in system's or avast!'s working. I don't know if Ms VM have any influence on avast! Just wanted to inform you about it.

Regards!
Tom

the..sleeper

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 02:36:36 PM »
...problem solved with ver 523 update from 4.1 on Precision Workstation 420, duals, win2K....

Thanks again, Alwil for the lightening response.
This isn't just a job for you guys, but an obsession!