Author Topic: 4.5 e-mail problem  (Read 35805 times)

jbmcmillan

Re:4.5 e-mail problem
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2004, 09:01:32 PM »
Ok I took out the "autoredirect
"reference in the ini file and I can't recreate the error?????? ??? However when I hover my mouse over the icon in systray it says 5 providers 3 running but I open the On Access Control scanner it shows them all running.I am getting a little frustrated here.I have-standard shield,network shield,instant messaging,internet mail,outlook exchange.it shows them all running if I open the control but as I stated above hovering the mouse over the icon it says 3 running.Which is it?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2004, 09:12:39 PM »
Are all of them really running? Aren't they "waiting for a subsystem to start"? (e.g. Outlook/Exchange - it usually is - which means Outlook is not running).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jbmcmillan

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2004, 10:14:28 PM »
It seems to have fixed itself it is now working error free through a bunch of reboots.I have 4 of 5 running outlook exchange is not of course(waiting for subsystem).I can not in any way now recreate the error to check about ZA.It is scanning outbound mail and inbound as far as I know but I will do some more checking to be sure.This is all without the Redirect reference in the ini as related by Lukor.Any more info I can give you just let me know as I was initially impressed with the product.Thank you everyone who helped in this matter.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2004, 10:17:31 PM »
Interesting info. Would really love to find out what was causing the problem. Too bad we don't even know how to solve it - I mean, in your case it seems to have disappeared with no particular reason... :-\

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2004, 10:32:37 PM »
Working flawlesly on my system... as always. Win XP Pro SP2, all updates, hardware firewall/router D-Link DI-604 (latest firmware), Sygate 5.6 Personal Firewall, avast! 4.5.518

E-mail provider works great without any involving from my side. Same situation on my father's PC (still Win 98SE). No problems at all...

All providers works just great. My system tray icon says 7 provider(s) total, 4 running - and that's the situation in here.

Good work Alwil !
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 10:33:43 PM by S.Z.C »

CoJo

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2004, 10:35:23 PM »
Interesting info. Would really love to find out what was causing the problem. Too bad we don't even know how to solve it - I mean, in your case it seems to have disappeared with no particular reason... :-\

Vlk, after I posted my question this morning, I went off line for about four hours. When I logged back on, everything is now working.
I had not done anything...I thought I would just tackle it when I got home.
Now the message is internet mail/provider is currently running instead of "waiting for a sub system..." and hovering on the a icon shows 7 providers,6 running (don't use Outlook).
Emails that came in early this morning were not scanned, but new ones are...

ZA (free) and Prevx did initially "warn" me as the update was downloading, but it proceeded when I checked allow...

Strange, but I'm glad it's working!

cojo

neal62

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2004, 11:59:28 PM »
Vlk, I am running WinXp Home, SP2, Avast 4.5.518, Thunderbird 0.9. All I did was change my T.B. settings back to normal from the 127.0.0.1 settings and everything is working fine. Am using Sygate P.F.  5.6 build 2808, Wins Firewall disabled. Your new version of Avast is performing just great on my pc.  I show 6 providers, with 5 running. Outlook Exchange is looking for a subsystem to start. ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 12:02:36 AM by neal62 »

Tipton

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2004, 12:32:55 AM »
Tipton, are you also using ZA?

Folks, tt would be quite interesting to find out whether the problem has anything to do with interaction between avast and ZA. I have the suspicion that it does.

Could you please try to confirm or deny this hypothesis? E.g. try disabling ZA temporarily and see if it helps.

Thanks
Vlk

Yes I am using the latest version of Zone alarm. I did like you asked and disabled ZA, and my mail is working just fine. I tried it a dozen times in a row, and its being scanned just fine!!

Tipton

[Edit] To say that I re-activated zone alarm, and my mail is giving me the error again. I have Avast mail scanner set to full permission, except I don't have it set to be a server.....always worked fine before with these settings.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 12:36:10 AM by Tipton »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2004, 12:40:24 AM »
We think we now know where the problem might be and how to solve it. Will try to fix it asap.

Thanks
Vlk

Tipton

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2004, 12:42:35 AM »
We think we now know where the problem might be and how to solve it. Will try to fix it asap.

Thanks
Vlk

Cool! I turned Zone alarm off again, and once again my mail works. Turn Zone alarm back on, and I get the error. It is definately Zone alarm causing the problem on my PC.

Tipton

PigDog

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2004, 12:53:07 AM »
Does zonealarm get defensive like Sygate and block if a program changes?  Probably need to set new rules to allow the updated Avast modules.

Tipton

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2004, 01:03:54 AM »
Does zonealarm get defensive like Sygate and block if a program changes?  Probably need to set new rules to allow the updated Avast modules.

Zone alarm is not a rule based firewall. You either give a program access, like I did with my mail scanner, or you block it, ot you have it ask for permission.

Tipton

jbmcmillan

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2004, 01:47:43 AM »
No but it will give you an alert if a program changes and you have to reallow it.

j4100

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2004, 12:25:29 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'm new here, but have been using !Avast for a couple of years now and I am very happy with it. I have had the mail problems too and thought I would give you my info with the thought that all data has some use:
XPsp2
Mailwasher Pro
Outlook
Tiny Personal Firewall

The only action I needed to take to get my mail back was to add the "AutoRedirect=0" line in the file. I left my mail settings as 127.0.0.1

Good Luck!
Rod

Tipton

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2004, 05:53:54 PM »
Tipton, are you also using ZA?

Folks, tt would be quite interesting to find out whether the problem has anything to do with interaction between avast and ZA. I have the suspicion that it does.

Could you please try to confirm or deny this hypothesis? E.g. try disabling ZA temporarily and see if it helps.

Thanks
Vlk

I did as Lukor suggested and it is working now with no errors and it is scanning inbound mail not sure about outbound.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jbmcmillan: Right know I don't what could be the cause of your problem. Do you use any firewall? Some tool from your ISP or something like that?

We'll be working on a fix, ofcourse. Till then you can configure you mail via PopWizard as follows (protection will be the same as in version 4.1)

1) Open the file avast4.ini in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\"
2) In the section [MailScanner] add the following line:
AutoRedirect=0

3) Run Pop wizard - that is
3a) change to the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
3b) execute ashPopWz.exe

4) in the basic settings dialog, choose Automaticaly protect all my accounts

5) default pop3 and smtp server leave on shawmail

This way you've disabled the new auto protect feature, and configured your account manualy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My error relates to redirect so not sure if that was what it is or not.

This is driving me nuts. I want to try the fix listed above for my mail, but I do not have  the section [MailScanner] in my file avast4.ini. I have searched through it several times.

Tipton